Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Review - While You Were Sleeping by Kathryn Croft




Book Summary

Tara Logan adores her perfect little family: husband, Noah, and two children, teenager Rosie and eleven-year-old Spencer. 

But her happiness is shattered when she wakes up one morning in her neighbour’s bed, with no memory of how she got there or what happened between them. And worse – he has been stabbed to death.

Convinced she didn’t kill Lee and scared of losing everything she cares about, Tara flees home and stays silent, holding her breath as the investigation grips the neighbourhood.

But as her daughter spirals out of control, and her husband becomes increasingly distant, Tara starts to wonder if someone in her life knows what really happened that night. When the police turn their questions towards her, Tara realises she has to find out. 

But what will it take to uncover the real story, and can she survive the truth?



My Review - 3 1/2 stars

Lies, lies, lies and more lies in Part 1.  I was shaking my head and thinking what foolishness is this, do people think and act like this. Then after allowing myself to 'drink the kool aid' once Part 2 came I couldn't stop reading.

All the characters were fine, more then a few unlikable including the neighbors, I think most either like, dislike or are neutral about neighbors.  If a murder happened would this bring a neighborhood closer together or break them apart and have people moving out of their homes.

I don't consider Tara's family to be dysfunctional but bad things do happen to families, life happens.  Tara and Noah separate and are back together but it seems like the separation affected Rosie in a negative way that puts herself and others at risk.  She was an unreliable character, I never knew what to believe and neither did her family which then included the police.

There are secondary characters that add to the dilemma within the story and add distractions but in the end were they really distractions.

Nothing is as it seems which makes for a good read.  Those that read mystery and thrillers all the time will have different thoughts through out the book, some right and some very wrong.   Overall, it is an entertaining read but you do have to suspend belief.  The Detective continued to tell Tara that they are investigating but there are so many things as a reader you say, why haven't you did this, this and this etc, just comes across as incompetent.  I think this could actually take away the enjoyment for some readers but as I said it is an entertaining fast read.

This was my first Kathryn Croft book and I will read more by her.


16 comments:

  1. It sounds good but I don't know if I can suspend my belief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Jenny, initially it was a 4 star but as I was writing the review more questions and points came up for me that were of concern. I do think you would still enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marce: It's been a while. I just returned to the book community after a lengthy medial LOA. I just ordered this book today so really enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, it is so great to see you here, please let me know what your new blog name is, I will also search. All is great thanks for asking. I wasn't around much last year but it has been a good blogging year getting into the swing of it. I look forward to seeing you around again.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It definitely had an element of sitting on the edge of your seat at times.

      Delete
  4. It sounds unpredictable. I like books where I guess wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy books where I guess wrong also. This one makes you say no throughout and then 'answer'

      Delete
  5. Oh yes I was anxious about the lack of forensic science in this I recall and the police investigation seemed a bit half-hearted... But of course I enjoyed it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you were alone in finding this a book of two halves! I did enjoy it although the premise was fairly outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like books where nothing is quite as it seems. Keeps me on the edge of my seat! I think I'm going to give this one a go, even if the premise is a little out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Might just be what someone needs in a reading slump- it could help you discover that there's always something great awaiting you in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.