Tuesday, December 27, 2016

My Top Ten Books of 2016



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!

I start looking forward to this meme as soon as December begins.  It is the time I add many books to my 2017 to be read list.  Thank you bloggers.

I only had one 5 star read this year but all the others are 4 1/2 and memorable.



My Review 5 star - Adult Fiction/Suspense

I couldn't stop reading this, I wanted to call in to work and say I had more important things to do, which was finishing this book.  The story completely captured my attention.   This is the perfect book for an advocate group on sexual abuse to read and discuss with each other.  What I loved the best that Steena Holmes did was not make it emotionally driven to the point where you have to warn readers about possible triggers to sexual abuse as their were no descriptions.  This wasn't about the act but more about what do you do with suspicions or when a young child repeats something and your unsure.



My Review 4 1/2 stars - Adult Fiction/Historical 

I can see why this gem made so many bloggers favourite list, it was the perfect execution from beginning to end, capturing all issues.  Even though historical is not my thing, this was beautiful and Kristin Hannah truly showed her talent, gaining new fans for sure but still not letting her loyal fans down, remarkable to me. 






The intensity in this book is non stop, shocking and many moments I realized I was holding my breath.  I am so impressed this is a debut, well done BA Paris.  I felt relieved at the end which isn't a good thing but my oh my, intense.  The summary says we all know a couple like Jack and Grace, I sure as hell hope not.  That thought is scary and very creepy, there are some things I will never overlook with friends now.  I will give a warning, this is probably the worst kind of mental manipulation abuse I have read, it can be very hard to read if you are not into emotional intense reads.  I found this harder to read them physical abuse.




My Review 4 1/2 stars -  Psychological Thriller

I really like mental games and the serial killer put the victims through the worst mental game, a survival game and really no one wins.  The survivor sometimes suffering more than the victim.  I realized it would really depend who I was imprisoned with.  I thought the serial killer did a great job on choosing.  I like to be in control so I think the choice would be to kill myself or the other but letting my guard down and being killed, nope, isn't that terrible, but this is the torture they go through while starving.




My Review 4 1/2 stars - Psychological Suspense

Wow, wow and wow.  This is a book I wished I was able to read in 1 seating, staying up until almost 2am for two nights is not me but I couldn't get enough.  The storytelling has you on the edge of your seat.





My Review 4 1/2 stars - Crime/Police Procedural

This crime thriller/police procedural will keep you fully engaged, the tension is constant and when it all comes together, BAM, I was pleased. I also really enjoyed all the characters, Robert Bryndza gave the characters a genuine place where you felt you understood decisions, good and bad which helped the dialogue to feel real also.






My Review 4 1/2 stars - Memoir

This is not my kind of book but I downloaded the sample and was laughing, became engaged and had to read it.  I'm glad I did, very fun book.  I was happy to see the inside of a celebrity from their point of view.  I found it light, fun, badassary (Shonda added this to her Dictionary as a new word).  I was a Grey's Anatomy fan but now I can say I'm a Shonda fan. 





My Review 4 1/2 stars Suspense - My choice for Book Club and a video discussion with author

In February I said this would make my Top Ten List.  I saw this book mentioned during a book meme, I was intrigued and downloaded it.  Sometimes the best books are the one's you know nothing about outside of the summary.  I want to just say read it, there is something for all, especially the thriller, mystery fans but I think this is perfect for the YA fans that want to get into thrillers.  I was captivated and didn't want to go to sleep nights and even bought it to work, which I never do, I just couldn't get enough and had to know what was going to happen.




My Review 4 1/2 stars (Book 5) - My Favourite author and series

The Forensic Instinct team can do no wrong, absolutely love these characters.  Andrea Kane makes me feel at home and her writing immediately grabs me and I'm in the comfort of my book journey with this team, I am one of them....





My Review 4 1/2 stars - Investigative Thriller

I think JT Ellison has officially became my favourite investigative thriller author and to think the first book I read by her I wasn't impressed, so glad I tried again.  She gives me everything I want now.  The feeling of being on the edge and can't read fast enough to know how it will end.  Allowing the reader to be part of the investigation as clues are revealed.  Really great characters who you begin to connect with and look forward to seeing more of. There are always connections which highlights how small our world really is, I find this so true and exciting.



I would love to see these 3 read more around the blogosphere.  
*The Word Game, Unhinge and The Drowning Game.*

NOTE:  Please check your junk folders as I have commented on 6+ blogs without the comments showing.


Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce.  Happy Holidays


27 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've had a pretty good reading year, I wish you much of the same for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I just borrowed Behind Closed Doors from a friend and I CAN'T WAIT to start that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list! I've only read EENY MEENY, but I own several others. I want to get to BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and THE WORD GAME soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, we always add from each others list. I would love to see your thoughts on The Word Game. Cheers to 2017

      Delete
  4. I haven't put together my list yet, but I am still enjoying checking out everyone else's. These lists are great for adding to my wish list!

    I am glad to see Rhimes book on your list! I have the audio of that one and it will be one of my TBR List Poll choices for January. Regardless of whether it wins or not, I hope to listen to it at some point. Behind Closed Doors is in my TBR pile. Thank you for sharing, Marce. I hope you have a wonderful 2017 in books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went looking for your list :-) It is so great and fun adding to the 2017 list. I hear the audio is great, enjoy it. Behind Closed Doors was intense, so great.

      Delete
  5. The Nightingale was amazing, wasn't it? Happy reading in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really was good, it was my 1st read in 2016 and still made my Top Ten list.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure I even had five five star reviews this year. Sad but true. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy what I read though. Behind Closed Doors definitely would be on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jenny, I enjoyed my year of reading and only one 5 star. The intensity of Behind Closed Doors completely did it for me.

      Delete
  7. I've read a lot more thrillers this year, so several of these are calling to me. :) Behind Closed Doors DOES look intense, and Girl in the Ice has me wondering too. The Drowning game I might have to look at also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get to way more than me and I always add a new one to my list from you, so keep the thrillers going :-)

      Delete
  8. Interesting that at least two of the books you loved last year were books that lie outside your usual reading zone. I'm often surprised when I try books from that zone. This reminds me that I should do more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out to me Deb. I have learned that if I have interest go for it. Kristin Hannah is one of my favourite authors though, so that helped with the historic. I love Grey's Anatomy which helped with Year of Yes.

      Delete
  9. The Nightingale was one of my favourite reads of the year, too! A bunch of these look worth checking out, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaay, The Nightingale has did amazing, I'm pleased for Kristin Hannah.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I do my best with the thrillers Jen. I haven't picked up a horror this year though which is your specialty.

      Delete
  11. I've read both The Nightingale and Behind Closed Doors this year and heard so many great things about Robert Bryndza

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many of them sound good and I've not read any!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great list, Marce! I'm going to check out some of the books which I've not heard before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! I loved Eeny Meeny and am so excited that you did as well! I also really enjoyed The Murder that Never Was- I'm really a huge fan of this series. It sounds like you had a wonderful year of reading in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many of these I wanted to read already, but a few are new to me. I always love your thriller recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  17. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.