Sunday, March 26, 2017

Review - The Girl with all the Gifts by M. R. Carey




Book Summary

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

The Girl With All the Gifts is a groundbreaking thriller, emotionally charged and gripping from beginning to end.


My Review - 3 1/2

I saw the trailer for the movie and had to read the book first, it looked intense, totally me so I went for it.  Amazing characters which kept me reading.  A very strong intro where we meet all the characters, get a little understanding of what is going on and then all hell breaks loose.  Some escape and begin the journey of survival.  I thought I was in for a 5 star read.

This is where the book changed for me.  This journey went on forever, I think it could have been shorter, I lost my interest but continued through it because I had to know how it ended.  Melanie is a fascinating girl and you want to know what will happen and if they find a cure and safety.  She really is a gifted child. The science part did nothing for me, it felt like a filter instead of to bring more understanding.  This is my first zombie book, they are called hungries in The Girl with all the Gifts.  I would read another zombie book only if recommended to me, this wasn't a turn off to me.

"That's Pandora,"  Miss Justineau said.  "She was a really amazing woman.  All the gods had blessed her and given her gifts.  That's what her name means - 'the girl with all the gifts'.  So she was clever, and brave, and beautiful, and funny, and everything else you'd want to be.  But she just had the one tiny fault, which was that she was very-and I mean very - curious."  Kindle 3%

The best part of this book was the characters and relationships built.  What changes people when in survival mode?  Do you have moral and integrity issues when fighting for what is right?

But this is how you square the circle.  Can't go back.  Can't go forward.  Can't stay put.  So you pick another direction and you get out from under.  Kindle 72%

I thought the ending was great, circular but it threw me a little.  If I had loved the story I would have reread the ending.  There was a part that Melanie witnessed that I knew would mean something and I was intrigued again, it made the book worth reading but the middle lacked something.  Melanie is the glue to this story, worth reading to know this character.  I look forward to watching the movie.




9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you ended up mostly liking it. You'll have to review the movie too. I'm debating whether I want to watch it or not. The book wasn't perfect but I ended up liking it and its unconventional ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ending made me think and enjoy it more overall.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like it had a lot of potential but wasn't edited tightly enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beginning was unique and exciting, I think more should have been put on that part instead of the journey which really all the same. Lots of potential for sure.

      Delete
  3. I agree it had a great start; the middle does tend to slow down a little. Overall I think it was more of a character-driven story and if course, some emotional parts. I'm still on the fence on this author's next book as I've read mixed reviews of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pretty similar reading experience of this book to you... I felt it really dragged on also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book. I liked the take on it, the different type of zombies than the norm - cognizant zombie kids. Too fun!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.