Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review - Bunheads by Sophie Flack



Book Summary from Amazon

In a crowd of beautiful ballet dancers, how can one girl stand out?

As a dancer with the ultra-prestigious Manhattan Ballet company, nineteen-year-old Hannah Ward juggles intense rehearsals, dazzling performances, and complicated backstage relationships. But when she meets a spontaneous and irresistibly cute musician named Jacob, her universe begins to change.

Until now, Hannah has happily followed the company's unofficial mantra, "Don't think, just dance." But as Jacob opens her eyes to the world beyond the theater, Hannah must decide whether to compete against the other "bunheads" for a star soloist spot or to strike out on her own.

Publication - Oct 2012

Read a Hardback version

My Review - 4

What a stunning cover and if you have every seen a professional ballet company, stunning is a word you would use for the performance also.  As an ex professional trained dancer in modern, ballet and jazz I loved and appreciated this novel more than I think others will.  Sophie Flack uses ballet terms throughout which gave you a visual but I think this description would not be appreciated by a non lover of dance or dancer.  We move in unison, inverting our formation - saute', chasse' turn, saute' pas de chat - and then I run back into the wing.

The novel was in sections, Fall Season, Winter Season and Spring Season.  This is the perfect gift for any upcoming child interested in dance as a serious hobby with possibility of career choice.  Very genuine with the real deal of life as a ballerina.

I enjoyed the storyline of Hannah struggling with giving up everything for a life and success as a ballerina becoming a Principle or finding a balance and enjoying 'life'.  Many ballerinas in the company call 'normal' people pedestrians.

For Hannah, having it all could include dating another dancer or front seat fan which also contributes funds but she meets Jacob.  Is Jacob exactly what she needs or is he a distraction that causes her to lose out on opportunities?

What an entertaining read.  I highly recommend to those interested in the life of a ballerina, especially backstage moments, performance nights, classes, competitive friendships and diets.  Young upcoming dancers will especially appreciate.

Thanks to June at Writing is a Blessing for the Giveaway, go read her review.

 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds fascinating! I'm sure I would have to look up some of the dance terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is most definitely a stunning cover! I have not heard of this one, but am intrigued about it. I usually like 'dancer-centered' stories. Maybe because I can't dance to save my life but wish I could. So I'm just into people that can. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good one and what a great cover. I've seen clips of the TV program Bunheads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cover is stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.