Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review - The Human Bobby by Gabe Rotter




Book Summary

THE GRIPPING STORY OF THE UNRAVELING OF ONE MAN’S SEEMINGLY PERFECT LIFE, AND HIS STRUGGLE TO GET EVERYTHING BACK.

A new baby, a loving wife, a solid career, a dream house in Beverly Hills: Dr. Bobby Flopkowski has it all. Until a complicated series of events snowball into a disaster that changes the course of his life forever. Now, with a tent on the beach as his only home and an addiction that has cut him off from everyone he once loved, Bobby has a revelation that could put him back on track: he believes he has solved the puzzling crime that led to his downfall. But as the reality he’s always known slips farther away, will he be able to convince someone—anyone—that his suspicions aren’t merely the pleas of a desperate man?

My Review - 5

A quote by Paul Simon is the intro to the book - losing love is like a window in your heart, everybody sees you're blown apart.

This book is labeled a novel but it is a fascinating tension building thriller, I highly recommend to psychological thriller fans.  This is one of the best unreliable character driven books I have read. 

I really enjoyed reading about Dr. Bobby and how he met his lovely wife and then their charmed life together.  It is amazing what a tragedy will do to a person and a relationship. If you have ever known someone you was trying to help and finally the only way was that they had to hit bottom, but watching and waiting was brutal.  The tension in this book is shocking and you just say Dr. Bobby, what will it take, stop and put your  life back together.

Dr. Bobby's father committed suicide and left him his manuscript and a gun.  Dr. Bobby lives his life just not wanting to be like his dad but in the end it all ends with the manuscript and the gun, in what way is the question,

Such a thought provoking read and as it is labeled a novel you don't try to figure out the mystery.  And one suspenseful part we figure out before Dr. Bobby starts solving his tragic crime but I think this adds to the dilemma.

I cannot say more other than go read this.  This is one I think more bloggers should read, put it on your soon to be read shelf, it deserves to push a few back down to wait longer. 

I do think the title doesn't draw you in and the cover doesn't help even though both are relevant. For those that have read it, what are your thoughts on a title? Mine are My Dad's Manuscript, The Manuscript and the Gun or The Manuscript Tragedy.

I did go back and fourth from 4 1/2 or 5 but Goodreads and Amazon do not do half and it is much better than a 4 so a 5 it gets.

Some may remember my love for The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer, I would categorize them the same but I still have love for TMI even after 3 years.

My blogging friend Christa recommended The Human Bobby to me 2 years ago, go read her review here.


 

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the cover, the title, and the book - I loved it! I'm glad to see you review it because I don't think it's gotten the attention it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic! Looking at the cover alone, I wouldn't have given it a second glance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound excellent. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover doesn't grab me at all, but you have me really wanting to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so glad you like this one!!!

    I like The Manuscript Tragedy.

    Here's my review for anyone else who is interested!
    http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/11/book-review-human-bobby-novel-by-gabe.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason I thought this was non fiction, it sounds very interesting though - thanks for sharing your review!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have overlooked this title and cover so thanks for highlighting it for me. I'm a fan of psychological thrillers and I do love an unreliable narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this was fantastic as well. Glad u liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been on my wishlist for years. I'm glad it lives up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.