Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Review - The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters




Published 2012

Book Summary


What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die? Detective Hank Palace has asked this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. Several kilometers wide, it’s on a collision course with planet Earth, with just six precious months until impact.
Industry is grinding to a halt. Most people have abandoned their jobs. But not Hank Palace. As our story opens, he’s investigating the latest suicide in a city that’s full of suicides—only this one feels wrong. This one feels like homicide. And Palace is the only one who cares. What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die?
My Review - 3
I read Bedbugs in 2012 and enjoyed the eccentric and weird story, great for horror fans.  I wanted to try Ben Winters again and have had this on my TBR list for awhile. I am not a fan of series so wasn't sure about this one but with the newest book out and the publisher reaching out, I went for it.
This wasn't my cup of tea, it was a good mystery but a little on the science fiction side and without a true ending due to it being a trilogy.  I love a standalone mystery, in order to have an outcome.  I don't enjoy cliffhangers, it annoys me instead of making me excited for the next.
The story did make you think if the world was coming to an end, an asteroid was coming and all would die, what would you do?  If it was 6 months away, would most people give up life, commit suicide or leave their jobs and travel the world, be with family etc, would that really happen.  I honestly don't know.  I am not sure I would believe the news but who knows.
Detective Hank was new in his role, a dream come true and so when a body was found and everything pointed to suicide, he was committed to proving it was a murder.  I enjoyed this but it felt a little drawn out.
Ben Winters is a good writer and I think he would have a great fan base that will love all his writing. This wasn't thrilling enough for me to continue on with the trilogy but unique story, just not for me.


3 comments:

  1. A lot of people are loving these books and I felt pretty much the same way you did. I just didn't feel the urgency that I expected to so the book was just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds good (I have an affinity for natural disaster like stories). While I do like trilogies, I will say that mysteries do not make good trilogies. Things get dragged on way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the trilogy but perhaps not the execution of it. I downloaded a first chapter sample and wasn't that impressed. I know many enjoy it, so I'm still not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.