Sunday, April 3, 2016

Review - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children





Publication - June 2011

Book Summary

A mysterious island.



An abandoned orphanage.




A strange collection of very curious photographs.




It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. 

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.



My Review - 3 1/2

I saw the trailer of the upcoming movie and remembered I have had this one on my shelf since it was released.  I immediately picked it up.  The best part of this book are the photographs, unique with a historic artistic feel throughout the story. I love the movies X-Men and thought it may be similar, the Peculiar children were similar and they intrigued me but didn't have the pull were I am so engaged with them I need to follow there journey.  I wish this was a stand alone novel, the pictures are great but unsure if that style would continue with great ratings for the whole trilogy.

The first half of the story was engaging, a five star read for me.  Jacob's grandfather trusted him and shared some fascinating stories and photos, which you wonder are real or fantasy.  Something happens and Jacob is told to go check on his grandfather.  He and his friend find the house empty, go in the woods and walk into a horrifying surprise. Part of the reveal takes Jacob and his father on an adventure.

I am excited when Jacob and his father travel to the island.  Jacob is eager to understand more about his grandfather and find out how much of the stories are true.  The story begins to get creepy and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the reveal of the peculiar children.  Instead of an elaborate display this part was slowly done as they were unsure of Jacob.  And this is where it began to lose its appeal for me.  The children were Peculiar but not were I was excited, fascinated or even curious for more.  They were revealed and that was it, maybe it was that Jacob had to embrace them for who they were but just didn't feel like the hold your breath moment I was looking for.

This is where the true adventure for Jacob began and it became unsafe for not only him but the Peculiar children and the people on the island.  Those that want the Peculiar children become a risk and they are fighting for their existence and safety.  I don't mind gruesome but this felt out of place, monsters wanting to eat children, the Peculiars.  This becomes a run for their life state of affairs.  Jacob has to make a decision, go home with his father back to their family or become a part of what can be his new home with Miss Peregrine and the Peculiar Children.  Overall an original idea especially with the photography but I thought it started really strong and just had a weird ending with unforgettable characters in my opinion.  If you want to try something unusual, this is it.  I am not interested in reading on.

Also, I am glad I had the hardback, I couldn't imagine reading this on a Kindle. I have read that those that have downloaded do not recommend either.

I almost gave this a 4 because I thought the first half was extremely strong, the photography unique but the 2nd half felt like a different book and it doesn't pull me to want to know what happens next.


The Movie will be released September 2016, what do you think, looks cool.........



18 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, but a bit confusing. I guess that is the enjoyment of the reading, to figure out where the plot is heading. It has photographs with the text, or it talks about photographs? Some books just need to be a print copy or at least on a tablet or Fire. I usually use my Paperwhite and that is definitely text only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great review - I have heard so many good things about this book too and yes the trailer looks enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book ages ago and loved it and after seeing the trailer decided I really needed to read it again, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - the first half of the book was stronger. This was an okay read for me - I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a book that appeals, but I love the preview... very quirky - though again... I'm not sure I'd go and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this around for a long time but I doubt it will work for me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the photos, but didn't love (or hate) the book. I was looking for something else yesterday, I saw it on my shelf and pulled it down to glance through the photos again. Such an intriguing premise, but I wasn't interested in reading further, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, just watched the trailer! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The premise sounds interesting and I thought the photographs part seems unique too but I think this is one of those books that has to be in a right "mood" to read it, well at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew it was a movie, but not that the trailer was out. I've always wondered about the book -- thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting review - I quite enjoyed this one when I first read it, but then when I reread recently I felt the same as you regarding the first half being much stronger than the rest. When I reread I was planning to continue on with the trilogy, but it really didn't grip me enough to complete. I'm interested in the film though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too have to get to this one. I probably won't see the movie, but I am curious to see what the hype is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt very much the same about the book as you did. I'm still very excited for the movie! This may be the unusual case where the movie is better than the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so want to read this book! It's been on my list forever. I didn't know about the movie so that's something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this one but as an eBook.I hope to read it before the movie is released.Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  17. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.