Friday, May 27, 2016

Review - Sister by Rosamund Lupton






Book Summary

When her mom calls to tell her that Tess, her younger sister, is missing, Bee returns home to London on the first flight. She expects to find Tess and give her the usual lecture, the bossy big sister scolding her flighty baby sister for taking off without letting anyone know her plans. Tess has always been a free spirit, an artist who takes risks, while conservative Bee couldn’t be more different. Bee is used to watching out for her wayward sibling and is fiercely protective of Tess (and has always been a little stern about her antics). But then Tess is found dead, apparently by her own hand.

Bee is certain that Tess didn’t commit suicide. Their family and the police accept the sad reality, but Bee feels sure that Tess has been murdered.  Single-minded in her search for a killer, Bee moves into Tess's apartment and throws herself headlong into her sister's life--and all its secrets. 

Though her family and the police see a grieving sister in denial, unwilling to accept the facts, Bee uncovers the affair Tess was having with a married man and the pregnancy that resulted, and her difficultly with a stalker who may have crossed the line when Tess refused his advances. Tess was also participating in an experimental medical trial that might have gone very wrong.  As a determined Bee gives her statement to the lead investigator, her story reveals a predator who got away with murder--and an obsession that may cost Bee her own life.

A thrilling story of fierce love between siblings, Sister is a suspenseful and accomplished debut with a stunning twist.



My Review - 2

This is my first Rosamund Lupton book and it has been on my TBR for a long time.   I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more a few years ago.  I was bored.  The beginning was fantastic and really pulled you in.  I enjoyed the change of style where Bee writes a letter to Tess and the story unfolds mainly in this style.

My problem is that there are no highs and lows by 60% I was so bored, it felt all the same and just went on and on and on so I went to the last 2 chapters just to see the ending.

I really do not understand how so many loved this one.  I enjoyed the sister touch, they were very different but had the special sister connect.  Sweet......but not enough to capture a beautiful emotional story-line for me.

I understand not believing she committed suicide and making sure to prove it for the legacy of her sister.  None of the characters stood out to me.  The mom was there but not.  Others accepted the suicide easily, was Bee just desperate.  Just a weird story, nothing came together for me.

I found the execution to be completely off and I don't think I would give this author another try.  I was quite disappointed. It had me on the edge of falling into a reading slump.




8 comments:

  1. I read this one several years ago, so I don't remember a lot of details. Sorry it didn't work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This plot sounds SO familiar. As in I recently read a book that sounds almost the same but I know it was not this one. The character who dies lived in Paris. Otherwise, way too similar for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. That's no good. I just read a story that I seemed to have the same issues with as you did for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever read this author. Sorry the book wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently finished The Quality of Silence by the same author and enjoyed it. Sorry this one wasn't as good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this a long time ago and liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this book before but didn't pick it up at that time and was glad I didn't after reading your review. Hope the next book will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch. I had high hopes for this one. I bought a copy of the book last month though I am yet to read it. Sad to hear that it dissapointed you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.