Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Review - The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza




Published - February 2016

Book summary

Her eyes are wide open. Her lips parted as if to speak. Her dead body frozen in the ice…She is not the only one.
When a young boy discovers the body of a woman beneath a thick sheet of ice in a South London park, Detective Erika Foster is called in to lead the murder investigation.
The victim, a beautiful young socialite, appeared to have the perfect life. Yet when Erika begins to dig deeper, she starts to connect the dots between the murder and the killings of three prostitutes, all found strangled, hands bound and dumped in water around London.
What dark secrets is the girl in the ice hiding?
As Erika inches closer to uncovering the truth, the killer is closing in on Erika.
The last investigation Erika led went badly wrong… resulting in the death of her husband. With her career hanging by a thread, Erika must now battle her own personal demons as well as a killer more deadly than any she’s faced before. But will she get to him before he strikes again?

SPECIAL KINDLE PRICE TODAY 99c


My Review 4 1/2 stars

I was really impressed with this police procedural crime thriller.  I have to say a great police procedural is right up there with the best psychological thrillers for me now.  When they are great, wow.  I really didn't want to put this book down and I am proud to say I had it right, but didn't take away from the enjoyment at all as Robert Bryndza made me question myself throughout the book.  I would love to vent but it would be a spoiler and the vent is not about the writing or execution just 'people'.

When a wealthy woman is found murdered they bring Detective Erika Foster in to handle the case.  Erika is still healing from a loss when out in the field and her boss treats her as if he is doing her a favour.  Unfortunately money and power are leading this case, instead of allowing a transparent investigation to occur.  Erika is finding similarities to the murder and believes she is dealing with a serial killer but why can't she get a break.  Numerous clues but nothing makes sense to come together to break the case.

As Erika gets closer she also puts herself in danger, she escapes once but will she be able to be saved again?  This is edge of your seat worthy and you just cannot wait until the murderer or serial killer is found.  There are so many twists and turns and it keeps your mind wondering, I really like the fear the murderer put in his victim, shocking once you get to the ending.  Again, my venting point I can't discuss.  I really like that I keep finding amazing, strong, smart women as Detectives, she wouldn't be stopped as she had integrity and would do what was right even when told no.

This crime thriller/police procedural will keep you fully engaged, the tension is constant and when it all comes together, BAM, I was pleased. I also really enjoyed all the characters, Robert Bryndza gave the characters a genuine place where you felt you understood decisions, good and bad which helped the dialogue to feel real also.

Sometimes reading thrillers they can start to have the same feel but this one was different and I will look out for more by Robert Bryndza.  I prefer stand alone's but I definitely look forward to reading more in this series.

What are some of your favourite crime thriller series?

My top 2 are Andrea Kane's Forensic Instincts series and JT Ellison's Samantha Owen series.

I also really enjoyed the beginning of MJ Alridge series, Eeny Meeny.



8 comments:

  1. Excellent review! This looks like a really good one and I've been in the mood for thrillers all summer lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh ... this does sound good. I'm always looking for awesome new thrillers. My current favorites are the Lacey Flint series by Sharon (S.J.) Bolton and really anything by her; the Dublin Murder Squad books by Tana French; and the Bell Elkins series by Julia Keller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really good, Marce! I love that cover, too. I'll keep an eye out for it at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like a police procedural too and will keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit thriller-ed out these days, but when the mood hits, you cannot do wrong with Robert Galbraith or Tana French. Definitely among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a crime thriller that has a fresh feel to it and from the rest of your review I think I'd enjoy this one. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that cover and title are sure eye-catching! I'll have to check this out. Thanks for your lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.