Thursday, December 29, 2016

Review - The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson




Book Publication - February 2015

Book Summary

In a tantalizing set-up reminiscent of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train… On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the stunning and mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing very intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage that’s going stale and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. Ted and his wife were a mismatch from the start—he the rich businessman, she the artistic free spirit—a contrast that once inflamed their passion, but has now become a cliché.
But their game turns a little darker when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.” After all, some people are the kind worth killing, like a lying, stinking, cheating spouse. . . .
Back in Boston, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they begin to plot Miranda's demise. But there are a few things about Lily’s past that she hasn’t shared with Ted, namely her experience in the art and craft of murder, a journey that began in her very precocious youth.
Suddenly these co-conspirators are embroiled in a chilling game of cat-and-mouse, one they both cannot survive . . . with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

My Review - 4 star

This book is the Champion of Coincidence.  In the moment I understand not questioning parts but for the reader is makes you smile and at the end I had a good laugh at the expense of the characters.  I am surprised this came out last year, I don't think I heard much about it but can see it being on Thriller fans to be read list.

The intro fascinated me, strangers, Lily and Ted meet at an airport bar and over drinks plan to kill Ted's wife. Okay, realistic NO, but maybe for a murderer this is normal behaviour.  Grief, alcohol, anger and feelings of revenge, oh the thrill of planning a murder for the fun of it then realize your new friend is serious.    I started to get turned off by the ludicrous story-line then BAM you are like what the hell just happened, laugh and continue on in disbelief.

'And while I was agreeing what kept me going was the knowledge that she was going to die, and I was going to be the one who made that happen.   I thought about it constantly, turning the idea around in my mind like looking at a diamond from every possible perspective, looking for flaws or cracks, looking for guilt or second thoughts, and I ground none.  Kindle 15%

This thriller was entertaining and I couldn't stop reading because I just had to know how it all was entangled and would end.  This was a chess game but who wins?

'We understood that survival was everything.  It was the meaning of life.  And to take another life was, in many ways, the greatest expression of what it meant to be alive.  Kindle 69%

I thought Lily was the best character and we got to understand background story which helped the present and future.  The Detective on the case I really enjoyed and wish he didn't become so taken by Lily that it became stalker like, I wish it was just amazing detective work.

The ending of the book was brilliant, I laughed out loud, all the coincidences will come crashing down.  Loved it.  Overall I did enjoy but the beginning before the BAM made it hard to get into for me.  Also, each chapter was told from a character but this overall needs better execution, improvement over time from the author. I loved the title of this book, superb.




8 comments:

  1. It sounds maybe a bit shakey but very unique and interesting. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was all about coincidences but I still loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the intensity despite some of the scenarios. It was a page-turner for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ALMOST started reading this one last night...fell asleep by 9 pm on nye instead! This one will probably be my first book to read for the year with your recommendation. I'd heard it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and i got Married last year and we have been living happily for a while. We used to be free with everything and never kept any secret from each other until recently everything changed when he got a new Job in NewYork 2 months ago.He has been avoiding my calls and told me he is working,i got suspicious when i saw a comment of a woman on his Facebook Picture and the way he replied her. I asked my husband about it and he told me that she is co-worker in his organization,We had a big argument and he has not been picking my calls,this went on for long until one day i decided to notify my friend about this and that was how she introduced me to Mr James(Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com) a Private Investigator  who helped her when she was having issues with her Husband. I never believed he could do it but until i gave him my husbands Mobile phone number. He proved to me by hacking into my husbands phone. where i found so many evidence and  proof in his Text messages, Emails and pictures that my husband has an affairs with another woman.i have sent all the evidence to our lawyer.I just want to thank Mr James for helping me because i have all the evidence and proof to my lawyer,I Feel so sad about infidelity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Help me thank HACKINTECHNOLGY after being scammed of $1500 he helped me find my cheating husband he
    helped hack his whatsapp gmail and kik and i got to know that he was cheating on me , in less than 24 hours
    he helped me out with everything HACKINTECHNOLOGY
    is trust worthy and affordable contact HACKINTECHNOLOGY@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.