Thursday, February 8, 2018

Review - Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough



Publication Date - January 2017

Book Summary


Why is everyone talking about the ending of Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes?
Louise is a single mom, a secretary, stuck in a modern-day rut. On a rare night out, she meets a man in a bar and sparks fly. Though he leaves after they kiss, she’s thrilled she finally connected with someone.
When Louise arrives at work on Monday, she meets her new boss, David. The man from the bar. The very married man from the bar…who says the kiss was a terrible mistake, but who still can’t keep his eyes off Louise.
And then Louise bumps into Adele, who’s new to town and in need of a friend. But she also just happens to be married to David. And if you think you know where this story is going, think again, because Behind Her Eyes is like no other book you’ve read before.
David and Adele look like the picture-perfect husband and wife. But then why is David so controlling? And why is Adele so scared of him?
As Louise is drawn into David and Adele’s orbit, she uncovers more puzzling questions than answers. The only thing that is crystal clear is that something in this marriage is very, very wrong. But Louise can’t guess how wrong―and how far a person might go to protect their marriage’s secrets.
In Behind Her Eyes, Sarah Pinborough has written a novel that takes the modern day love triangle and not only turns it on its head, but completely reinvents it in a way that will leave readers reeling.



My Review 3  

This is definitely a psychological thriller, the beginning pulled you in and immediately I had moments of what the heck is really going on here.   We have the story line we have had many times, unsuspecting romantic meet up and then realize the next day the complete and utter betrayal and inappropriateness of the night before.   Louise and David have a fun night and realize the next morning that they are new colleagues.  David is her 'married' new boss, not only is she the Personal Assistant but a huge one night mistake.  This should end there, for most it will but no they start a full on affair. 

But when David touches me, I come alive.  I love the smell of him on me.  I love the feel of his skin.  I love his smile.  I'm like a teenager when he's there.   And then when I'm with Adele I feel like I matter.  I'm important to her.  Kindle 33%

Whether he hit her or not, something isn't normal in their marriage.  But then nothing about this is normal and I'm probably the worst of the three of us.  Kindle 47%

Then a coincidence meeting with David's wife Adele happens, which starts a close friendship.  Are you rolling your eyes?  It really is complete ridiculousness, a life game gone wrong.  I lost respect for all parties and so the characters didn't touch me but they were all memorable enough to continue reading.  The middle didn't hold my attention, I just wanted to know how it will end.  And the ending, I think was a risk for the author, either you will be shocked and love it or completely hate it.  I sat there and thought, this is the direction it took, really, this is slightly SciFi as it is not believable.  I was willing to believe to a certain extent but the complete story, nope.  This is why I can only give it 3 stars.  Any book that I don't skim through always gets a 3 as I completed it but it took to long to complete.  I'm not impressed. I didn't care enough to want to throw my Kindle down but this is definitely the reaction I think readers will have, 'throwing their book against the wall'.

David is a Dr who has a wife that obviously has a mental illness and is unstable.  He should be able to do more or get her the help needed so this part disturbed me, instead of helping her he became a drunk, a cheating drunk with patients.

One thing I have realized with reading, I do not like when authors manipulate the reader or have characters that are manipulative in behaviour, I just can't handle it and don't enjoy the read as much.  Behind Her Eyes is manipulation of the highest. 

"There's no right and wrong with feelings.  There is only what there is."  Kindle 77%

This is how I feel about Behind Her Eyes, it is what it is.  I was disappointed.





10 comments:

  1. Done right, it sounds like this one could have been good. As is, the characters sound deplorable and the story completely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I thought I was the minority with this one but reviewed Amazon reviews and realized I am not alone.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have to suspend disbelief a little too much with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to this one on audio and remember thinking - what????? Wrote a short review and said that people were either going to really like this (as in, I'm surprised, I like it) or they were going to hate it. It is truly strange and the characters are so weird and clueless and dumb, right? I am wondering what this author will come up with next. I'll probably try it just to answer that question. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you got me right at the beginning. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one, but I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it more. I hope you love your next read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not alone...although I think my reaction was even stronger than yours...I was really angered by this book...Frankly I thought it was utter nonsense by the end. To me she didn't play fair with the reader - it was like manipulation on steroids. I won't be rushing to read her again

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this because it totally throw me off, lol. I'm curious what the author has in store next for her next book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imagine becoming vastly wealthy overnight. Being a winner of a multi-million dollar lottery certainly will be a life-changing event for almost every single lottery winner. My name is Mavis Wanczyck from Chicopee, Massachusetts, the famous PowerBall lottery winner of $758 million (£591m) in 2017. I know many people would wonder how I had won the lottery. Would you believe me if i told you that i did it with spell casting? I met this famous spell caster known as Doctor Odunga and he was the one who did it for me. As shocking as it was to me my famous comment to the press was “ I’m going to go and hide in my bed.” Never did I believe that Doctor Odunga actually made me wealthy overnight. If you want to have your chance of winning and becoming very wealthy just like me, contact Doctor Odunga at odungaspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP HIM at +2348167159012 and you will be lucky. Thanks for Reading and hope to see you at the top

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.