Monday, July 8, 2013

Review - Fly Away by Kristin Hannah




Book Summary

Once, a long time ago, I walked down a night-darkened road called Firefly Lane, all alone, on the worst night of my life, and I found a kindred spirit. That was our beginning. More than thirty years ago. TullyandKate. You and me against the world. Best friends forever. But stories end, don’t they? You lose the people you love and you have to find a way to go on. . . .

Tully Hart has always been larger than life, a woman fueled by big dreams and driven by memories of a painful past. She thinks she can overcome anything until her best friend, Kate Ryan, dies. Tully tries to fulfill her deathbed promise to Kate---to be there for Kate’s children---but Tully knows nothing about family or motherhood or taking care of people.


Released - April 2013

My Review - 2 1/2

Firefly Lane is one of my favourite's by Kristin Hannah.  I thought this one was a let down to the fans and I hope new readers to her do not choose this one first or it may be there last.  My main complaint, far to repetitive, I understand memories assist those grieving but this was torture for us who have read Firefly Lane, plus very depressing.  Going from present to past was executed perfectly which shows how great an author she is but I don't think fans of Firefly Lane will feel the same as those that read this one first.  Many will not enjoy also because it is dark and gloomy right to the end, good comes out of it all but no one wants to read 400 pages of gloom.  I also enjoy dark emotional books but this just didn't do it for me.

I still enjoy the way Kristin H draws out her characters and I was happy to continue their journey but it did become easy not to pick up, a possible DNF lister.  I continued on because I love Kristin Hannah and I will continue with her books but this one, I can't recommend.  I am interested in why she even decided to bring these characters back now.

Every character grieved differently which is real life and I appreciated this delivery, the children, husband, parents and best friend.  The added bonus is that we only know Tully's mom is a dead beat but we get to meet her in Fly Away where she transitions from nickname Cloud to Dorothy. It also told the story of when you can prepare you do your best but it is never good enough because you are not the griever, such a shame really because Kate would not want her loved one's going through what they did.

I highly recommend Firefly Lane, a great friendship book.  I read it before blogging, I would still give it a 4 1/2.


 

8 comments:

  1. I guess it's not easy for a writer to follow up a good book. Too bad the new book didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, too bad this one didn't pan out. I have a copy for review but have been putting it off because I wasn't sure how it would measure up. (Though I have to admit I didn't adore Firefly Lane 100%...it was a little too reminiscent of the movie Beaches for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard this is not Hannah's best effort. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Hannah also, but the last couple of books are so darn sad. I find myself putting off her books because of that now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,I generally find Ms. Hannah's books to be a fun read. It's a bummer that it didn't live up to your expectations after Firefly Lane. Hope her next one turns out better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too bad that this one really didn't live up to your expectations, especially since the last few Kristin Hannah books have been really good -- and Firefly Lane is super good. Ah well ... I'm not sure if I'll get to this one, unless it's a library read.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your review. I was curious about this book. I think the cover is attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate it when I love an author and hate a book, and I'm with you, I don't want to read 400 pages of gloom, even if things eventually work out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.