Wednesday, August 14, 2013

ARC Review - Corrupt Practices by Robert Rotstein





Book Summary from Amazon

A Los Angeles church, considered by some to be a powerful cult, charges Rich Baxter with embezzling millions. Rich reaches out to former colleague and star trial attorney Parker Stern to come to his defense. Parker despises the cult, but he hasn’t entered a courtroom since developing severe stage fright after his mentor, Harmon Cherry, committed suicide. Rich claims that Cherry did not kill himself—he was murdered by someone connected to the church. At first, Parker doesn’t believe it . . . until disturbing events force him to question what’s really happening.

As the case takes an unexpected turn, Parker surprises himself and agrees to take on the church. But to represent his client and uncover the truth he must overcome his own long-buried secrets.

Published Date - June 11, 2013

I received as a ARC, a little late reading but so worth it

My Review - 4 1/2

I prefer standalone novels but I am so happy this legal thriller will be a series.  I loved the main character Parker and look forward to more court room drama.  All the characters were interesting, conniving in their own way, they added to the suspense.

Parker takes on a case representing an ex colleague against a church, The Sanctified Assembly, which sounds more like a cult that loves power.  Parker hates everything to do with the Church of the Sanctified Assembly and doesn't want anything to do with them but decides to take on the case.

A friend gives him a teaching job in hopes of helping him get over court room stage fright.  He uses his students to assist with the research and the case and they help him get in touch with the basics again.  Everyone that gets involved realizes they are putting their lives at risk, is it worth it. 

This book will have you staying up well past your bedtime or waking to continue on because your so engaged you can't relax enough to go to sleep, a page turner to say the least.  The secrets were incredible, a great executed thriller. 

The title Corrupt Practices is perfect, is the legal system corrupt or the church, I bet you won't figure this one out.  There are so many brilliant secrets, just layered on, you can't get enough, you will enjoy this thrill.

I look forward to more Parker Stern.

A favourite quote

Religion can be very similar to an embrace.  And you can't really explain an embrace.  But there are people who comfort me with just a hug."  Grinning slightly, she tilts her head toward her father.  "If that same person hugged you, you'd probably recoil in disgust.  But the trick, with both people and faith, is to find what will comfort you.  We all need a divine embrace."

5 comments:

  1. Hm, this sounds interesting. I wonder if that church is based on scientology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you say it'll keep you up late because you don't want to stop reading, and that you bet we won't figure it out. I'm adding this book to my list. Great review!

    Love that quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll have to add this too my wish list. I don't mind a series if I can get in at the beginning so I don't get too far behind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.