Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review - The Cry by Helen Fitzgerald


Book Summary from Goodreads


He's gone. And telling the truth won't bring him back...

When a baby goes missing on a lonely roadside in Australia, it sets off a police investigation that will become a media sensation and dinner-table talk across the world.

Lies, rumours and guilt snowball, causing the parents, Joanna and Alistair, to slowly turn against each other.

Finally Joanna starts thinking the unthinkable: could the truth be even more terrible than she suspected? And what will it take to make things right?

The Cry is a dark psychological thriller with a gripping moral dilemma at its heart and characters who will keep you guessing on every page.

My Review - 3 1/2

An unexpected read, I have always enjoyed psychological thrillers, a favourite genre.  I would recommend this one to those that enjoy emotional novels that deal with morals and values, think Jodi Picoult and Kristin Hannah.

You are on the edge of your seat trying to figure out how they connect the pieces together about missing Noah.  And the ending was brilliant, I absolutely loved the ending.  Even though I enjoyed the story overall, the middle kept me wondering what next, it took me past the suspense feel because a main part was revealed early which had you waiting for when the truth would come out.  At times the flow of the story almost lost me and then wham, oh Joanna, I loved her character again.

Alistair has an older daughter who he is trying to get full custody for.  We meet his ex wife and then Joanna and her connect also.  Everyone involved with the search for Noah and the manipulation going on was fascinating and had you considering all the different judgments.  In the end what happened does it match your own morals and values, you need to read it and consider this.

Helen Fitzgerald gives flashbacks throughout the story which helps to flesh out the journey, very well done.  Good suspense psychological thriller, you will be surprised.


Quote from 16% on iPad

She was on her way to hell.  That's why the sky ahead was getting blacker.  Joanna calmed herself with the idea.  She died and went to hell, that's all - just as she knew she would, since the affair.


My Review of her other book, The Donor







9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a real page turner. I wonder why the author decided to reveal a big part of the story half way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it didn't make sense to me either but in the end it comes together. An execution issue for me but I have read others loved it.

      Delete
  2. The story sounds interesting. To bad they spoil something early on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a spoiler, it was intentional, I just think it could have been done differently, maybe flowed into the next better.

      Delete
  3. This is a new book to me, but I am definitely a reader of Kristin Hannah and Jodi Picoult. Putting this on my list. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds really good and I'm looking forward to grabbing it from the library. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read mystery and legal thrillers, but not a psychological thriller. It sounds great. Is it set in Australia? I have so far read only one book set in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cry sounds like my kind of book! I don't think I've ever read a book set in Australia. It's going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. blessings, season greetings and happy new year.
    I have read many books by many authors but I have never read an Helen Fitzgerald.

    peace.
    Rhapsody
    http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/
    http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/p/guestbook.html
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://pinterest.com/rhapsodyphoenix/
    https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4442621/rhapsody-phoenix

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.