Friday, June 3, 2016

Review - Brother by Ania Ahlborn




Book Summary

From the bestselling horror author of Within These Walls and The Bird Eater comes a brand-new novel of terror that follows a teenager determined to break from his family’s unconventional—and deeply disturbing—traditions.

Deep in the heart of Appalachia stands a crooked farmhouse miles from any road. The Morrows keep to themselves, and it’s served them well so far. When girls go missing off the side of the highway, the cops don’t knock on their door. Which is a good thing, seeing as to what’s buried in the Morrows’ backyard.

But nineteen-year-old Michael Morrow isn’t like the rest of his family. He doesn’t take pleasure in the screams that echo through the trees. Michael pines for normalcy, and he’s sure that someday he’ll see the world beyond West Virginia. When he meets Alice, a pretty girl working at a record shop in the small nearby town of Dahlia, he’s immediately smitten. For a moment, he nearly forgets about the monster he’s become. But his brother, Rebel, is all too eager to remind Michael of his place…



My Review - 4

The title, cover and summary really gripped me, I'm glad I was able to read this one before seeing it all over the blogs.  I find I appreciate most books more this way.

We meet the Morrow's, a made up family of mother and father, two daughters and two sons but are any their blood children, you question this during the story.  It baffles me on the stories when children are abducted and brainwashed to believe they were not wanted by their family and to embrace their new.  It is hard to believe we have some crazy sick people in our world but with the news we know it is an unfortunate pat of our world.

The continuous buildup to the climatic ending is perfection.  You know it will end badly and just wonder how but the additional jaw dropping, emotional ending, just wow.   Ray, known as Rebel is the King of manipulation and patience.  As children, Michael does something that Rebel thinks requires retaliation.  He takes this to the ultimate horrific level.

It took awhile to understand at first but I did enjoy the present day story vs the story building from when Michael joined the family.  It helped you to understand the disturbing intent of Rebel.

What I love about horrors is they have you talking to the characters "No Michael, don't go, Michael look out, Michael don't believe him, etc."  It makes you become more engaged in the story and I felt emotionally charged.  How can I be rooting for a murderer but that is not his natural way, Michael was made into a monster and didn't know how to get out.

This story is worth the read just for the horrific manipulation.  Michael hands down is my favourite character but the build up for Rebel to get what he wanted, brilliantly crazy. I feel like it could have been more character development for the mother and father but it didn't take away from the story.  They are sick demonic family.  Michael with the right upbringing definitely could have been a Physician.  There is so much I want to say but will give away the brilliance of Ania Ahlborn story 'Brother'

There is blood and lots of it.  This is not for the reader that won't be able to sleep at night without visions because it is graphic.  Nothing is for shock value in my opinion.  This family is related to the serial killer from Silence of the Lambs that had the women in the whole, that is all I will say.

I will definitely be read more from Ania Ahlborn.  I didn't realize it but I have read The Neighbors, my review here.

My Review 3 1/2 stars



8 comments:

  1. Oh my, that sounds pretty intense, but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! Sounds creepy. I'm going to have to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I stopped reading after you said you didn't know much about the novel before reading. I like to do that as well. This is on the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brother sounds like quite a strong book, and one I'm keen to read, even more so after your review. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds very intense! I think I'll read it when the mood calls for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo great review. Brother sounds right up my alley!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is very well written. The pace is fast. There is enough foreshadowing that you pretty much know what's coming but you're on the edge of your seat hoping that it won't. There's a huge plot twist at the end that makes complete sense based on the rest of the narrative. The conclusion is satisfying. It feels like it couldn't end any other way.

    Hyacinth
    Westlund Personal Injury Lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.