Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Review - Where all the Dead Lie by JT Ellison




Book Summary

The headshot didn't kill Taylor Jackson. But it will haunt.


In her showdown with the murderous Pretender, a bullet taken at close range severed the connection between Taylor’s thoughts and speech. Effectively mute, there’s no telling if her voice will ever come back. Trapped in silence, she is surrounded by ghosts— of the past, of friendships and trusts lost—of the specter of a lost faith in herself and her motives that night.
When Memphis Highsmythe offers Taylor his home in the Scottish highlands to recuperate, her fiancΓ© John Baldwin can’t refuse her excitement, no matter his distrust of the man. At first, Memphis’s drafty and singularly romantic castle seems the perfect place for healing. But shortly the house itself surrounds her like a menacing presence. As Taylor’s sense of isolation and vulnerability grows, so, too, does her grip on reality.

PTSD. Pills. Ghosts. Grudges.

Someone or something is coming after Taylor. But is she being haunted by the dead...or hunted by the living?


My Review - 4 Great to the last Drop

JT Ellison is a great author when writing about serial killers.  This is book 7, the end story of the series.  I thoroughly enjoyed So Close the Hand of Death and feel like these 2 read together complete a great story.

I found this one to be very different from what I expect of JT, no serial killer involvement, only the after affects of almost dying from the hands of one.  Initially I felt the book was all over the place, was it a mystery, romance or ghost story.  I find many story lines are intertwined and create the perfect puzzle but this one felt odd to me.  Then, we get the heart pounding race to the end, total edge of your seat greatness.  The book went from an almost 3 to immediate 4 star for me, a great Psychological Suspense read.  JT may have went for playing with the readers mind with not allowing us to know where it was going but I have to say I don't think it was executed well but it was greatly pulled together at the end.

Sam was dealing with Post-traumatic stress disorder and the way the counselors assisted her was extremely interesting and set the scene in many ways. I did enjoy not knowing what was reality or possible hallucinations.


Quotes I enjoyed

At least Sam was getting a chance to heal; her wounds were hidden, on the inside.  Taylor had to parade around town with her scars, and without her voice.

This was what she wanted, right?  For him to apologize.  To offer to make things right.  They were better as a team. Together they could conquer anything.  But apart, they were two lonely icebergs, drifting silently toward a certain doom.

She felt the nimble touch again, more familiar this time, then it stopped and she was able to breathe and then sit up. She turned on the light, hands at her throat, gasping for air.  Her heart was pounding out of control.. What in the hell had just happened?


Thanks to NetGalley for having it available last year. 
Other Books in series I have reviewed.

All the Pretty Girls  Book 1

So Close the Hand of Death  Book 6



9 comments:

  1. You've got me very curious about the ending. I've go try this author's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I recommend starting with Book 6, she brings past serial killers all together and this one is a good match, the after story of Book 6.

    I do NOT recommend the 1st in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this at the library today and wondered if it was part of a series. Does it stand alone well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nise, it doesn't go well as a stand alone, the one before it and this one together do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lady how are ya : ) I've not read this author. There were actually a few good thriller for free on kindle the last few weeks that I've downloaded and am anxious to read for the challenge.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read anything by JT Ellison but I have to give it a try - sounds like a good writer. New follower by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually obsessive about reading a series order. Is that the wrong thing with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I like to read in order also but if the Virtual Assistant didn't request for me to review to give another chance there was no way I was reading on and I was then wow'd. One of the issues I had with the first one didn't really get closed even in the ending, not to 'everyone's liking' in my opinion.

      The good thing is that the author definitely grew in the execution, so if you enjoy that journey go for it. The first was a 3 for me so not terrible.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.