Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green



Book Summary

I am not imaginary...

Budo is lucky as imaginary friends go. He's been alive for more than five years, which is positively ancient in the world of imaginary friends. But Budo feels his age and thinks constantly of the day when eight-year-old Max Delaney will stop believing in him. When that happens, Budo will disappear.
 
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is a triumph of courage and imagination that touches on the truths of life, love, and friendship as it races to a heartwarming . . . and heartbreaking conclusion.
 
My Review - 4 1/2
 
I really enjoyed this novel, very unique, Matthew Green has a special talent.  I enjoy stories that allow us to hear what the characters are thinking but not actually saying so to get a story told from the imaginary friends point of view, it was brilliant in my mind, very clever.
 
Imaginary friends usually have a short lifespan but not Budo, he is five and counting.  I believe Max to be autistic even though this was not confirmed.  Max and Budo have a great trusting relationship, when this is tested is for the best.  His mom and dad are good parents even though they are struggling with deciding to get Max help or as his dad says, wait, he is a late bloomer.  This book made teachers look wonderful, I appreciated this as early educators are usually the one's that are remembered the most.  The author is also a teacher which comes across while reading.  One teacher had a special interest in Max, she was his paraprofessional and this relationship became a crime.
 
The book had me engaged and very intrigued with the imaginary friend world but once the crime took place the book took on a suspenseful adventure, loved this.  We knew who done the crime but the when they will be caught, if they will be, by who was edge of your seat worthy, almost makes you want to skip ahead because you just have to know how it ends, very well done.
 
I loved how Budo was struggling through out the book on when imaginary friends and himself will die and that their person is in charge of your destiny with continuing to believe in them.
 
My only issue is it felt a little repetitive at times and I felt like the author considered changing who Budo's audience was.  When he was talking to other imaginary friends I got it but when he was speaking to the reader it felt patronizing, as if I was five.  eg. I feel like the elephant in the room.  This is an expression that means there is something two people know that is as big as an elephant but no one wants to talk about it.  On Kindle at 25%
 
Such an engaging read, I think many will enjoy this novel.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a unique and sweet book. I like the concept! Great Review!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound very unique. It sounds like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad this one was great. I also love hearing character's thoughts. It's been on my TBR list for awhile so I'll definitely need to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. But like it might have benefited from being shorter perhaps. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a very interesting read! I hadn't heard of it but I'm definitely intrigued (especially after reading your thoughts on it). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I do believe I would like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks good, except for the patronizing part. adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.