Sunday, February 21, 2016

Review - Eeny Meeny by M. J. Alridge





Published June 2015

Blogger Recommendation - Samantha at Booked On a Feeling

Book Summary

Two people are abducted, imprisoned, and left with a gun. As hunger and thirst set in, only one walks away alive.

It’s a game more twisted than any Detective Helen Grace has ever seen. If she hadn’t spoken with the shattered survivors herself, she almost wouldn’t believe them.

Helen is familiar with the dark sides of human nature, including her own, but this case—with its seemingly random victims—has her baffled. But as more people go missing, nothing will be more terrifying than when it all starts making sense....

My Review - 4  1/2

Eeny Meeny miny moe, who will suffer, me or YOU.  This is edge of your seat, cannot wait until you get to the end thriller.  I actually wished I hadn't chose this to read during Book Bloggers Appreciation week, I wasn't able to give it the time it deserved. 

I really like mental games and the serial killer put the victims through the worst mental game, a survival game and really no one wins.  The survivor sometimes suffering more than the victim.  I realized it would really depend who I was imprisoned with.  I thought the serial killer did a great job on choosing.  I like to be in control so I think the choice would be to kill myself or the other but letting my guard and being killed, nope, isn't that terrible, but this is the torture they go through while starving.

Short chapters are addictive, just one more continues until your eyes are closing.  I can't believe how these chapters really pack a punch, whoooah.  I had to stop for a few seconds at the end, take a breath and continue on, yes, I was holding my breath.  I just couldn't wait to get to the end, it did end as I expected but it's a series so that is what I expect but I'm so excited the next two are out, MJ Alridge is releasing all 5 within 2 years, now that is exciting.

I did figure out 2 main parts of the suspense, who the serial killer was, mainly from one early scene, so it was a little annoying that Detective Helen took that long to figure it out, definitely must have been denial.  I lost respect for her due to this decision, she should have shared earlier on.  It actually made me think she is a little hypocritical considering the person that was corrupting the case, which I  also had figured out.

I really look forward to this series, I thought 5 star start to a series and I really prefer stand alone"s but I look forward to more Detective Helen Grace, she is a great main character.  Strong female, genuine, a loner due to dark past but a hard dedicated worker and oh so mysterious.  If you enjoyed Chelsea Cain's series and or the movies Saw, you would love this one.  I think the fact of knowing who the killer was and the way it was revealed was a major fault for me, it took away from the edge of your seat worthy thrill.

I enjoyed the secret lifestyle chapters but hope this continues with a little more of why in the future books.  Some will not enjoy this part in the book at all but I understood the connection to the story.  I initially was going to give a 4 but when I really think about it, this was twisted, dark and bloody and the mental game, brilliant so a 4 1/2 stars it is.  I thought one part was gruesome but oh so intense, intelligent like.  If your looking for a thrilling suspense, this will keep you up at night to get through just a couple more chapters.  I will be reading Pop Goes the Weasel soon.


 

16 comments:

  1. I really should read more thrillers. This sounds worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I love these psychological "game" themes. Must read this! One of my favourites is "Switch" by Grant McKenzie. Read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine raves about this book and it sounds like it's for good reason. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me hooked! I am going to add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This sounds intense. I do hate when things are obvious though and you have everything figured out before the character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been curious about this one and am glad to hear you like it, Marce. I like an intense read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking at this one but wasn't sure it was really for me but your review pointing out that it was a mental puzzle has swung it for me - it's going on the TBR! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this book around but didn't pick it up. I'm glad you enjoyed it and after reading your review I think I'll have to change my mind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believe it or not I haven't read it! I started with Pop :) I do want to since it's alluded to in her second, but as of yet I'm not even a little tempted to pick up a book :(

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a lot about this book that I like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this the first or second in the series? I believe I have the first book. You just reminded me that I really need to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this one last year but had a slightly different reaction. I enjoyed the intensity but found the "it's you or me" aspect of the confinement pretty depressing and the description of their captivity yucky.

    That being said, it is supposed to be a dark, gritty story and the author writes it intelligently; I just had to be in the mood for that kind of book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You totally sold me on this book when you first mentioned it on my blog a couple weeks back. Unfortunately my library doesn't carry a copy, but reading your review... ahh, I MUST read it! I'm definitely going to be getting a copy of it for myself soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book was really good. It harbors a twist on the traditional serial killer story along with a strong storyline and compelling characters! I started it and didn't put it down until I finished. Rushing off now to buy book two! There goes my evening!

    Mariz
    Visit us Hail Damage Claims

    ReplyDelete
  15. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  16. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.