Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review - Unravel by Calia Read




Book Summary

Six months ago, I was happy. I was simply Naomi Carradine. 

One month ago, I was admitted into a psych ward. 

Yesterday, Lachlan visited me. Kissed me. And told me that I’m starting to lose my mind. 

Hours later, Max haunted my thoughts, reminding me I’m not crazy and that he needs my help. 

A few minutes ago, I drifted further from reality, trying to unravel the past. 

And now...everyone thinks I’m insane. But, I know he's real, and I know he needs me. 

Do you believe me?

My Review 4 1/2

When I came across this on Amazon I just had to read it, the summary and cover draw you right in, I was completely intrigued.  This is labeled Novel Adult genre which I haven't completed figured out. (Have you?) I will recommend to all Psychological Thriller fans that do not mind a few good detailed sex scenes. Warning - there is an incest rape scene, please proceed with caution when reading this amazing book.

One of my favourite styles of a character is having the unreliable narrator, wow wow wow.  I seem to read an amazing book every year with this style, so many great books I can recommend but not during the review as it will give away delicate details, just go into the book knowing less.  This book kept me up late, totally unputdownable. It takes me a week to read a book and this took me 3 days, reading at lunch, late nights, while watching a movie with daughter (naughty I know) I just didn't want to be torn from the rock climbing book journey of the characters and miss the view at the end.

Naomi and best friend Lana.  New love Max and first love Lachlan.  I was so taken away, the characters captured my emotions and didn't let go.  Early on I was trying to figure it out, it is what I love to do, I didn't want to believe and thought it has to be the reason why but the ending still was shocking, I had a little but not the full mystery and it was brilliant.  Seriously I felt like I was floating on a cloud that was surrounded with lightning, a total living on the edge moment.

This doesn't get a 5 star because I wanted more, Calia Read answered the important questions but the supporting characters played a huge role and I wanted closure and the person that abused to receive justice.

My favourite genuine heartbreaking but amazing scene was when Lachlan's mom was talking to him and Naomi overheard it all, memorable and real. The chapters each had a word that marked the importance of the part of the story, very nice touch.

This amazing quote by Paul Auster which I think is perfect for the book but also for us as readers and book bloggers.  "When a person is lucky enough to live inside a story, to live inside an imaginary world, the pains of this world disappear.  For as long as the story goes on, reality no longer exists."

Favourite Quotes

But never does a kiss combust into something so powerful that even your heart feels it.  Every touch, every moan, every breath becomes electrified.  Kindle 20%

It's the fact that she has a level of need for you that is so intense and powerful that nothing can shake it.  I just don't think you realize how much of yourself you'll have to give to be with her.  Kindle 83%



7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the Novel Adult genre either. I do love a good unreliable narrator but the rape scene does sound daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like B. I haven't ventured into NA yet and rape scenes are a no go for me. But great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy and Juju, I am glad it is not just me on the NA, I still can't figure out, maybe rated R for books....

    I read a review that slammed reviewers for not mentioning rape scene, so glad I did, I think it can be a terrible experience if you don't know and when you realise incest rape, just takes it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I agree- the book summary does instantly draw you in! I also love the quotes you highlighted. This sounds like a good read!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of NA. Interesting. Sounds like it's something I'd like reading... too bad my library doesn't have it, may have to buy this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmm, NA genre? there's so many new labels for readers I can't keep up! This one sounds quite intriguing but the whole incest rape aspect turns my stomach ~ I'd be interested if it were not for that. I love the quote you included from Paul Auster - so apt for readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about rhe incest rape scene, that might me hard for me to recover from. And thene there's no justice at the end? Don't know if I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.