Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Review - Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf




Published February 2, 2016

Book Summary

Sarah Quinlan's husband, Jack, has been haunted for decades by the untimely death of his mother when he was just a teenager, her body found in the cellar of their family farm, the circumstances a mystery. The case rocked the small farm town of Penny Gate, Iowa, where Jack was raised, and for years Jack avoided returning home. But when his beloved aunt Julia is in an accident, hospitalized in a coma, Jack and Sarah are forced to confront the past that they have long evaded. 

Upon arriving in Penny Gate, Sarah and Jack are welcomed by the family Jack left behind all those years ago—barely a trace of the wounds that had once devastated them all. But as facts about Julia's accident begin to surface, Sarah realizes that nothing about the Quinlans is what it seems. Caught in a flurry of unanswered questions, Sarah dives deep into the puzzling rabbit hole of Jack's past. But the farther in she climbs, the harder it is for her to get out. And soon she is faced with a deadly truth she may not be prepared for.


My Review - 3 1/2

I have only missed out on one of Heather Gudenkauf's books so far, she has became a go to author for me when she releases a new book.  This one didn't feel nor read like her others, there wasn't what I would say her style or voice that came through.  

The prologue drew you in immediately, a brutal murder, you knew you were into a great start to a who dun-nit story.  Jack gets a call that his Aunt was hurt badly and was in a coma.   Jack and his wife Sarah of 20 years head back to his childhood home and small community, Penny Gate, Iowa.  Sarah knows the family from the wedding but immediately feels something is off, secrets.  The Aunt has a brutal death in the hospital in front of all the family and then begins an investigation into her murder. 

All the family are questioned, fingers being pointed and for Sarah, secrets revealed making her second guess the life she built with Jack.  Similarities into the death of his Aunt and his mother have everyone entangled into a family dysfunctional mess.  Can you imagine planning a funeral while the family is being investigated, emotional turmoil. Jack had told Sarah his parents died from a car accident so to hear it was murder and now his aunts murder has similarities, who should she trust.  She turns to her own instinct or is it morbid curiosity and becomes private detective which puts her in the fire pan also.  All fingers point to the troubled sister of Jack, Amy and she called their childhood home, 'the house of horrors' which is occupied by cousins, so it is still within the family.

Sarah is an advice columnist and when she checks her email she gets a strange email and when the 3rd comes in she knows it has something to do with the murders. The first part of the book was good but there was just something off, it may have been the flow, execution not the best but I thought the 2nd half was better.  I think Heather is good with layering her stories to make mysterious and in this case it was the continuous secrets revealed which for Sarah were lies. She considered catching the next plane back home. Even though I knew who the murderer wasn't, the families reactions to everything didn't make sense to me and I think it was the lack of really getting to know the characters.

This was a solid read, the ending was okay but you will still have so many questions and that is due to the lack of connection with the characters. The questions are not about the story but more.... how can a husband lie about the things he did, how can family live in a home where their loved one was murdered, why did the murderer do it and the additional bodies found, is that even possible?

Thanks to NetGalley for honouring me with the opportunity to review a favourite author.



My Reviews of Heather Gudenkauf's other books * = favourites

Little Lies (prequel)

9 comments:

  1. I've heard this isn't her best book but it still sounds like it's worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, glad to hear your thoughts on this book. I've mentioned that I want to read this author's books and have several of them, including this one. Will keep your review in mind, but I also know that most authors that I like will have a book or two that will not turn out to be a favorite of mine. That may be the case here for you. Thanks for sharing about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even heard of this author until all the word on this one. Must give her a try but will start with a different title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a reading machine! Sadly Marce, I have not been able too sit and read in months. I have a book sitting on my end table right next to me and try as I might I can't pick it up and read. Not quite sure how to tackle this mojo loss, but just chilling right now.

    Hope all is well,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds okay, but as I haven't read any of her books, I think I should start with a different one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The premise sounds great. Too bad you didn't have more of a connection with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard other people say this book is different from her usual writing. I am getting this from the library so I still plan to give it a try. Maybe the emphasis is on suspense rather than character development. Usually her books are what I would consider "book club fiction" with topics or controversies that are good for discussion.

    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.