Thursday, February 11, 2016

Review - Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica




Book Summary

Heidi Wood has always been a charitable woman. Still, her husband and daughter are horrified when Heidi returns home one day with a young woman named Willow and her four-month-old baby in tow. Disheveled and apparently homeless, this girl could be a criminal—or worse. Nevertheless, Heidi invites Willow and the baby to take refuge in their home, despite her family's objections. As clues into Willow's past begin to surface, Heidi is forced to decide how far she's willing to go to help a stranger. What starts as an act of kindness quickly spirals into an unrelenting web of lies and a story far more twisted than anyone could have anticipated.

My Review 4

Mary Kubica is releasing a new book out in May.  I enjoyed her debut book and think they were both solid reads but some growth still needed with the author. After noticing her new one releases soon I also realized I didn't review Pretty Baby and I read it last year, so just a mini review from what I remember.

I think Mary Kubica will become known as a formula writer which I can appreciate.  When you go to your favourite restaurant you know what you are getting, you cherish the time and food.  This is my appeal with her books so far, I see the execution and think she does it well, I really think she will be an author that captures long standing fans.

The story was told by a multiple of narrators which I love, it allows you to become more engaged with the characters and to see another side to the story.

I enjoyed Willow's story, being in the right place at the right time finally, maybe.  She was an orphan and those stories were sad but with a glimmer of hope, we meet Matthew who was also an orphan, helping her to escape.  We get to see revealed secrets of Willow and the baby which make the story in the end.

Heidi is on a train and sees Willow in the cold with her baby.  After a few sightings she decides to bring Willow and the baby home, yes this really happened.  Is she a charitable advocate or a little crazy, I will say both.  I don't know how her husband allowed this but I think it was his own way of trying to help Heidi but also he was a busy business men.  They also had a teenager daughter, who the heck would make this decision, bringing in a broken teenager with a baby when you already have a teenager at the peak of hormonal moodiness.  The husband continued to say I'm calling the police, maybe he should have as this baby scene, homeless teenager became unbelievable.

Uncomfortable, sometimes shocking but overall an emotional mysterious read.  I recommend trying a book by Mary Kubica.   The new one sounds so good.  I look forward to reading and seeing further growth with the author.

Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read this one.  I read it before release date and never reviewed it.  Last year was a write off.  I will not repeat last years book reading decisions.


Review of Mary Kubica debut


Don't You Cry (Release date is May 17, 2016)



9 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed both Mary Kubica's books so I'm delighted to hear that there is another due out in May - I've added it to my wishlist so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I've got both Mary Kubica's books on my Kindle but I haven't read either of them. Then there is the new one coming out soon. Whew! Too many books.

    I do understand what you're saying about her becoming a 'known quality' in her writing. Which is fine. We do need those type of writers and who knows - maybe the next one will take her outside the box. Nice 'mini', Marce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story sounds unbelievable but like a book I recently read so fantastic it has to be true! I've just requested another book by this author from Netgalley as this one is unavailable. I do hope I can get to it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind formula writers for a while. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this one on my stacks after reading The Good Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one on my kindle to read- I really need to try it soon as I've heard so many great things about this author. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first Mary Kubica.I really loved it.Reading Don't you Cry now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.