Saturday, April 24, 2010

Review - Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane


Book Summary
In 1954, US Marshals Teddy Daniels and his new partner, just in from Seattle, Chuck Aule take the ferry from the Massachusetts mainland to Shutter Island where Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane dominates the landscape. The law enforcement officials are assigned to investigate the disappearance of a convict (patient to Dr. Cawley) Rachel Solando, the Berkshire killer of three children she first drowned then “shared” breakfast with them in her kitchen.

Teddy and Chuck wonder how the woman could escape from a locked room on the third floor with guards all over the place and no hideaways on the island itself and swimming the distance to the nearest land in the treacherous Atlantic seems monumental. A hurricane is coming, which when it hits will totally isolate the island from the mainland. They begin to find evidence of illegal drug therapy and surgery, but little about the vanished Rachel. As they uncover more proof of wrongdoing Teddy and Chuck wonder if they will get off the island alive.
My review
So I had high hopes for this one, I am sure I will enjoy the movie but now I am a little upset I read it, sigh
This is definitely a book that will mess with your mind, what is real, what is fantasy, you may even feel dumb and think I should understand this. All of this was amazingly well done.
All the characters were interesting, the Marshals, the Chief in charge, Psychiatrist, Doctors, Nurses, Orderly's, Patients and Convicts.
I won't say to much in case I give something away and spoil it for you.
What happened for me actually is I figured out something so the amazing ending that everyone talks about as being a remarkable climax wasn't for me, sigh. And I didn't figure it all out but what I did made me not have the surprise shocking element.
So thats it friends, I don't know what to say really.
*
I give it a 3 - More Sugar Please
*
My recommendations
*
If you enjoyed Shutter Island, you should read Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
and another Psychological Thriller
*
The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer - I LOVED THIS ONE
*
Emidy has a great review on Shutter Island, go over and check her out.
Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

13 comments:

  1. I saw the movie, but had a hard time getting into the book. I'm sure that the book is more detailed than the movie... but I have to tell you, at the end of the movie, I was left wondering what the heck happened. I didn't get the ending at all! But I won't give it away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law saw the movie and kind of gave away the plot for me, so I don't think I'll read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including a link to me! Yeah, if you know the ending beforehand it isn't as good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had read the book first. I saw the movie since it's a Scorcese film, and was totally disappointed. I got it wrong this time. I hope you have a better time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the book and then saw the movie. I thought the book was really good and did not expect the ending at all. the movie, well, leo dicaprio can do no wrong in my eyes! :)
    thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it wasn't really for you! If you figure it out though, it's not going to be that great. I was clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your rating system. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh bummer you didn't really enjoy it. I encouraged my son to read this one as well and he couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I'll be reading this but I might give the movie a try. Sorry that you figured out the ending (although that does make you pretty smart if you figured it out before the author wanted you to). Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummed at your review--I saw this in the store and almost bought it. Kind of glad I didn't now! Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Friends thanks for commenting. I didn't figure it ALL out, definitely not that smart but 2 things gave away something huge for me so I just didn't get the climax excitement at the end.

    It may have been amazing if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I havent read the book or seen the film but I do own the book! I guess to need to avoid any kind of spoiler then LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. That happens to me often! When I figure out an ending, I lose the magic of the book! I am yet to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.