Thursday, November 26, 2009

Booking Through Thankful Thursday



What books and authors are you particularly thankful for this year?





Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate by Roger Fisher
I'm thankful for finding this book and being able to look at and feel emotions during negotiations instead of ignoring the distraction when emotional unrational debates happen. It has helped me become a better Employee Relations Manager.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova, debut book
I'm thankful for this book because my father has Alzeheimer's and it helped me to understand how he feels at times especially from being in a high profile job and being a family man. A sad but brilliant book. I highly recommend. This one will always stay with me.
Summary
Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.
Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. In turns heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying, Still Alice captures in remarkable detail what's it's like to literally lose your mind...


9 comments:

  1. http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2009/11/booking-through-thursday-thankful.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Still Alice in my TBR. I've heard great things about it and look forward to reading it!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still Alice looks very emotional, I am sure it's very difficult. Thanks for visiting today, I've not actually read Her Fearful Symmetry yet, I meant I was thankful that I have so many great sounding books on my TBR shelf. Have you heard bad things? I want it to be good!
    Alayne
    http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond Reason sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound like great choices.

    I'm sorry to hear about your father. I know that battle isn't easy for him, you, or your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still Alice sounds really interesting. I have also found it helpful in the past to read about conditions affecting mental health as these it can be very difficult to understand and alienating otherise. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.