Friday, July 2, 2010

Review - Horns by Joe Hill



Book Summary

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with a thunderous hangover, a raging headache, and a pair of horns growing from his temples. At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.


My review - 3 1/2 More Sugar Please
 
The book broke down the chapters in parts - Hell - Cherry - The Fire Sermon - The Fixer - The Gospel
 
I have never read a book that I loved so much in the beginning, all of Hell was just amazing, only to drop me and i'm not wanting to read it anymore.  Ig wakes up with Horns and thinks he is hallucinating and wonders why others see the horns but are not reacting but rather are telling him their deepest secrets even about what they think of him.  It only didn't affect one character and we all want to know why.  Everything was thrilling and suspenseful, I seriously loved every moment of the 1st ten chapters.
 
Then came Cherry - ugggh, it was about how Ig met Merrin and their beautiful perfect relationship.  I'm not saying this wasn't good it just didn't flow.  You know when moves have deleted scenes, well all of these chapters could have been cut in my opinion.  In later ones Ig daydreams about them anyway so it was unnecessary.  The book went from a 5 star to a 2 star for me then it slowly improved and the ending was just not the climax you would expect and also what you think should be consequences after Ig finds out everything.
 
Due to my love of Ig being the Devil, the touch of suspense and the dark humour I am glad I read it but it was hard to get through after the breakdown of flow.
 
It is not scary at all in my opinion, so don't be afraid to read it.  There are a ton of God vs Devil comments which I think adds to the book.  And I love words like Evel Knievel, wife beater (the shirt) and jigaboos, that is so funny.
 
The writing I adored and so will read another by Joe Hill but the flow of the book was just not executed well, in my opinion.

Note - Joe Hill is Stephen King's son.
 
Go over to April's blog to read her review.  cafeofdreamsbookreviews
 
Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce
 

8 comments:

  1. That's interesting that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. I bet he's an author to watch for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting and strange! Bummer to hear it went downhill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read his book Heart Shaped Box and it was pretty good. I don't know if I will take on this one. Thanks for sharing, Marce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh cool, I had no idea Stephen King has a son who is an author. The plot of this book is unique, for sure! Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm this book is on my wishlist. Not sure now if I'll read it right away. Perhaps it can wait and it'll go on the backburner. The flow of the book is rather important. Oh well. Great review. Thx for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doesn't sound like a book I'd love, but I am really getting a kick out of the premise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting me know marce :)

    I'll put this on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this book also. I have read Heart shaped box too. He definitely is influenced by his fahter. I can see alot of similarities in their stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.