Friday, July 30, 2010

Wrap Up Post for To Kill a Mockingbird



So we are at the end of the 50th Anniversary month for To Kill a Mockingbird and this will be my wrap up post.

If you had any TKAM post from this month, please leave a link in the comments.

My Review  My first time reading this classic

Here is my discussion and thoughts:

What was your first impression while reading?


I had a hard time getting into it, then I started enjoying Scout and Atticus, they are my favourite characters for sure. 

Who is your favourite character?

Atticus, high morals and listened to his kids, what an amazing role model in the book and for us.

Did you note a favourite scene, what was it about?

When it started snowing, the reactions and the building of the snowman, that was a priceless moment for me.

&

I love the gifts in the tree, I was heartbroken along with them when the hole was cemented up.


&

The way children where treated made me smile.  What a great book discussion for a group on what children where allowed to hear then to all they are allowed to see and hear these days.  We would have to live in a bubble, lol

Also childhood memories came from words like this being used - roly-poly and sayings 'Angel bright, life-in-death; get off the road, don't suck my breath' so adorable and cute.
Did you note a favourite quote, please share?  Here are mine.

said Atticus, "but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."  pg 120

Everybody in Maycom , it seemed, had a Streak; a Drinking Streak, a Gambling Streak, a Mean Streak, a Funny Streak.  pg. 147  (I had to smile with all the judgements in the book)

Court closing Remarks, the reason I believe this book is an amazing classic, it just speaks volumes - But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal - there is one human instituition that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockefeller, the stupid man the equal of an Einstein, and the ignorant man the equal of any college president.  The institution, gentlemen, is a court.  It can be the Supreme Court of the United States or the humblest J.P. court in the land, or this honorable court which you serve.  Our courts have their faults, as does any human institution, but in this country our courts are the great levelers, and in our courts all men are created equal. pg. 233

If you had to come up with a different title for TKAM, what would it be?

The judgements stayed with me so I would choose - The Streaks of Maycom


So there you have it, Tea Time with Marce's thoughts on To Kill a Mockingbird.  I gave it 4 stars, Great to the Last Drop.


Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

6 comments:

  1. Hi! First time on your blog, and thanks for visiting mine.
    I agree with you that we do live in a bubble of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally had the chance to read this classic. I appreciate it more and more each time I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so behind on my reading. I need to do a little post. Sorry! I got wrapped up in Dismantled and now the new Laura LIppman, I am having a hard time getting back to TKAM. I stink, I know.

    I don't know when I will get to it but I will try to wrap it up sooner than later. Thanks again for plugging away at this and promoting the Anniversary!

    Still Missing will terrify you. I promise. Don't be alone while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read this one. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I ever tell you that I never read TKAM yet? I suppose I have to find it my university library ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I missed this! My senior brain seems to recall some of the questions, though. I probably just forgot to ... anyway ... This was my first time reading TKaM and I will definitely read it many more times. It's a touching account of a serious problem in America. Oh, here's my link before I forget.

    My favorite character? Actually it's a toss-up between Scout and Atticus. She's spunky, innocent, well-mannered, and just plain delightful. Atticus is attuned to his children and puts family first. He's not a dictator. He simply gives them the truth and then trusts them to base sound decisions upon it. He sets a good example and expects them to follow it.

    My favorite scene was when Scout and Jem visited Calpurnia's church and the pastor lifted an offering for Tom Robinson's family. They needed $10; and he wouldn't let the congregation leave until they had given enough to reach that amount. I've been in congregations when the same thing has transpired. There's a comedian that told a joke about churches and preachers and offerings ending with, "It's free to get in; but you pay dearly to get out."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.