Wednesday, September 22, 2010

More from Heath Sommer - WoW

If you are a regular you know so far this year my favourite book has been The Manufactured Identity (review here), a Pshycological Thriller.  I was on Heath's website and the much awaited prequel, The Grand Delusion releases Oct 29.  Next week I will have more exciting news.....  I am jumping for joy.

Here is a Sneak peek of a chapter......

     With fleeting energy the weary man lay motionless underneath his desk and stared into the quiet of the darkened room, straining himself to breathe without sound. This is not the way it was supposed to happen. He slowly shifted his body and turned his head toward the oscillating siren blaring through the cracked window. Silently he prayed that the speeding police car would zoom past his home, but underneath his consciousness he feared that he had been found.

     After long seconds the siren passed and the man heaved a carefully measured sigh. Taking pause, he recalled the faculties of his mind into focus and reminded himself that simply because one black-and-white passed him by didn’t mean he was no longer being monitored.


     Stealthily, he moved from the office and into the parlor, deliberate to avoid stepping on the loose boards in the middle of the room leading up to the door's threshold. For an intense moment he thought he heard a crackling off to his right. Quickly, but with control, he surveyed every corner of his periphery before taking another step. Satisfied the parlor was void of life, he closed the door behind him and retrieved the vintage copy of Animal Farm from off the fifth shelf of the middle bookcase. With mildly trembling hands, he opened the novel to page sixty-two and carefully handled the loose photograph resting in the crevice of the page, gazing upon the solemn face in the picture before turning it over to read the long-since memorized phone number. Fighting the urge to blink the sweat from his eyes, he lowered himself to the telephone and held his face over the keypad. It was time.


     Reaching up, he grabbed the phone and listened to the dial tone; let it sink into the depths of his mind; let its drone nearly induce in him a deep trance. Not acknowledging the subtle nausea mixed with adrenaline, he brought up his curved right-hand index finger and softly depressed the seven digits. The phone rang once, then twice, then a third time. He exhaled silently but sustained.


     “Hello?”


     At first he couldn’t respond; he could only catch his breath. He didn’t like this part of his work.


     “Hello?” the woman on the other side tried again.


     More quiet breathing.


     “Hello, who is this? I can hear you breathing.”


     He finally spoke, but only in a soft, strained whisper. “Is this Sally, Sally Strathers?”


     “Yeah, it’s me, but who are you? Why do you keep calling me? What’s your name?”


     “I am…a friend,” he breathed, his mind racing, his fingers wet.


     “What do you want? How did you get my new number? Why do you keep calling me?”


      He looked at his laptop. “You’ll know soon,” he said, his voice beginning to quiver.


     “What will I know soon? Listen to me. Don't hang up! Why do you keep calling me? What do you want?”


      He closed his eyes and fought a horrific urge to scream. With tears, he slowly cut off the woman on the other side of the call.




Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event spotlighting upcoming releases we are highly anticipating. It is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


What are you waiting on?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic WOW!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.
    I'm a new follower here - - and I too love Earl Grey tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that's quite a cliffhanger of a teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a new book by a favorite author is released. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, cliffy! I do like a good thriller, nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, very suspenseful....I like the title, too.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just read one pshycological Thriller but like it very much. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! I love it when we're treated to a chapter or two as it usually pulls me in! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.