Thursday, September 2, 2010

Review - The Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark


Book Summary

When a deceased nun, Sister Catherine, becomes a candidate for sainthood in this gripping thriller from bestseller Clark, Monica Farrell, a 31-year-old Manhattan pediatrician, becomes the target of those who don't want her to inherit what's left of a fortune created by her unknown grandfather, Alex Gannon, with whom Catherine had a secret love child before she took up holy orders. That child, given up for adoption, became Monica's father. Monica must now testify whether two boys became cancer-free due to prayers to Sister Catherine so she can qualify for beatification. Meanwhile, Olivia Morrow, Catherine's 82-year-old dying cousin, ponders whether to tell Monica she's Alex's granddaughter. Clark skillfully mixes spiritual questions with down and dirty deeds as she reveals Gannon Foundation funds have been steadily siphoned off by greedy heirs and associates who will stop at nothing, even murder, to keep their criminal misbehavior under wraps.


My Review 
 
Mary Higgins Clark is my favourite author mainly because she is consistent and hasn't let me down yet.  She found a formula that works for her and sticks to it.  She gives you the intro, the story with the characters interacting so you start thinking who are the bad guys and then near the end you are reading so fast because you have to know who don't it or how they did it and there is always a little twist. 
 
At first I started thinking there are too many characters in this book but she gives you enough that you can keep track of them and begin thinking how do they relate to the suspense of the story.  Monica was my favourite character and the story revolved around her. I find she always has a strong female character that comes across as genuine, someone you like.
 
A major family secret from generations long ago and because of adopted grandparents Monica did not know her history, so was naive in thinking someone was after her and would do anything to keep the secret which included murder.
 
I enjoyed how MaryHC showed that money don't make you happy, the glamorous and rich were definitely over their heads and miserable.
 
I give this 4 Great to the last Drop
 
I read this one for the Thriller and Suspense Challenge and my own The Queen of Suspense Challenge
 
Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce
 
Note - My Blogoversary Giveaway

5 comments:

  1. Mary Higgins Clark does have a formula, but I still enjoy her books. I haven't read any in a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that she has remained consistent. I've only read a few of her earlier ones and really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've joined your book challenge but I have a question: Where should I start? Should I start with her first book?

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Money can't buy you happiness :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are the Children and While my Pretty One Sleeps I think are my favourites. I am going to try and reread them all so I can recommend.

    I would start with an early book, those are the ones that made me a fan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.