Monday, September 6, 2010

Review - After You by Julie Buxbaum



From Amazon - Book Description

The complexities of a friendship. The unexplored doubts of a marriage. And the redemptive power of literature... Julie Buxbaum, the acclaimed author of The Opposite of Love, delivers a haunting, gloriously written novel about love, family, and the secrets we hide from each other--and ourselves.

My Review
 
This was such a beautiful real story.  The characters were done so wonderfully you felt like you were a part of the family.  I laughed, cried, had tender sad times, just an amazing emotional book.  It is like the best Lifetime movie turned book you have ever read.
 
The writing style is just perfection, I have never felt like I am in a book and know the characters, I enjoyed all of them, even with their not so likeable characteristics.  And I loved that it was the American girl in an English household, the little differences made me smile.
 
When Ellie gets locked up, I haven't laughed so much, you know the moment you don't know if you want to cry or laugh, it was like that, I'm giggling now even at the thought.
 
Anyone that has dealt with grief, loss of a child, parent, best friend should read this, it was a magical story.  And the use of the book The Secret Garden was touching, I am putting that on my TBR list when my daughter is older.
 
I am quietly wow'd by this story, I can't explain it really. i think I will remember these characters for a long time. I would recommend this to all fans of Women's Fiction.
 
I give this 4 1/2 Great to the last Drop
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. That sounds great!

    I read The Secret Garden with my daughter when she was around 8, and she's reread it several times since then. It's a nice book to share. Thanks for mentioning the use of The Secret Garden in After You, that definitely attracted my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds really beautiful. Glad to hear that it's a great book and that the characters felt real to you. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second positive review I've seen of this book today! Now on my TBR list. The Secret Garden is a nice touch and it sounds like it's a great read for characters/psychology :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic! I'm adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great read. Have you read her debut novel The Opposite of Love? If not, I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Sounds beautiful. I love that it affected you so. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely sounds like a book I should read! I enjoy a women's fiction read now and then especially when I am in the mood for something a bit different than what I've been reading. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, it sounds like this book really touched you! That's great. For that reason, I'd love to read it. It sounds very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a really great book, one that I'm sure I'd love!

    I would like to invite you to Book Lover’s Blog Hop@Story Time Under the Stars. At the Book Lovers’ Blog Hop you can link up a book review and connect with other book reviewers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the lovely review of AFTER YOU. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the book, and of course, loved hearing that you both laughed and cried. Really appreciate all of your kind words.

    Shon, thanks for recommending THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE! Marce, if you happen to read it, please drop me a line and let me know what you think!

    Again thanks so much.

    All the best,
    Julie Buxbaum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed After You, too. Here's my review:
    http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2009/10/fiction-review-after-you.html

    And The Secret Garden was one of my childhood favorites. I'm sure your daughter will love it when she's old enough for you to share it with her!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a really good book! I love when books just touch you so. Sometimes I find myself laughing at a part and my hubs or kids are just looking at me like I'm nuts, but that is a great author who draws you right in.

    Hey, do you know if Chelsea Cain will be doing another in the Archie/Gretchen saga?

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.