Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Teaser Tuesday - Memoir by Eleanor Vincent

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!

Just do the following and go here to participate: Teaser Tuesday

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share two (2) 'teaser' sentences from somewhere on that page
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!




Teaser from Swimming with Maya

Kindle app on Ipad - 12%

Still groggy from the sleeping pill I had taken, I swim up out of sleep and find Meghan curled into a ball next to me.  Her deep, relaxed breathing immediately reminds me of the forced rise and fall of my other daughter's chest, the tubes snaking into her, the swollen, puffy eyelids.


Summary from Amazon

Swimming with Maya demonstrates the remarkable process of healing after the traumatic death of a loved one. Eleanor Vincent raised her two daughters, Maya and Meghan, virtually as a single-parent. Maya, the eldest, was a high-spirited and gifted young woman. As a toddler, Maya was an angelic tow-head, full of life and curiosity. As a teenager, Maya was energetic and independent - and often butted heads with her mother. But Eleanor and Maya were always close and connected, like best friends or sisters, but always also mother and daughter.

Then at age 19, Maya mounts a horse bareback as a dare and, in a crushing cantilever fall, is left in a coma from which she will never recover. Eleanor's life is turned upside down as she struggles to make the painful decision about Maya's fate.

Ultimately Eleanor chooses to donate Maya's organs. Years later, in one of the most poignant moments you will ever read about, Eleanor has the opportunity to hear her daughter's heart beat in the chest of the heart recipient. Along the way, Eleanor re-examines her relationship with her daughter, as well as the experiences that shaped Eleanor as a woman and as a mother to Maya.

An inspirational/motivational true story recommended for anyone who has experienced tragedy, who is grappling with traumatic experiences of the past, or who wants to better understand the strength and healing power of the human spirit.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, this one would make me cry. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Memoirs. I already know i would be in tears.
    http://sidnereading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for your review. Heart wrenching I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is definitely going to make me cry. I recently read read The Fault in Our Stars, and haven't recovered from it yet.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, Marce.
    Kero

    ReplyDelete
  5. No tragedies for me. I need happiness spoon fed to me for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. A book that would have to be read at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. The imagery is powerful.
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.