Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Recommend Me - Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Recommend Me is a new meme that Kate from The Neverending Shelf will be hosting. Each Friday, participants will pick one of their all time favorite reads to share. This could be a book that your read yesterday or years ago.

To play along, grab a favorite read and tell us about it. You can include your thoughts about the novel, its summary, your favorite memory related to the novel... the possibilities are limitless. If you are up for a challenge, you can also include:

Your review of the novel

Links to others' reviews of the novel

Recommending to a general group of readers or if you want to be extra daring, to specific reader friends


Go here to participate: http://www.theneverendingshelf.com/2010/01/recommend-me.html



Still Alice by Lisa Genova, debut book


I read this book before I started blogging but I love it and I'm thankful for it because my father has Alzeheimer's and it helped me to understand how he feels at times especially from being in a high profile job and being a family man. A sad but brilliant book. I highly recommend. This one will always stay with me.


Summary


Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. In turns heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying, Still Alice captures in remarkable detail what's it's like to literally lose your mind...

Go here to see what prizes etc Lisa Genova has won for Still Alice http://www.stillalice.com/

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce




8 comments:

  1. I actually will be reading that in the next week or two! I've heard marvelous reviews about it and I can't wait! Be looking for my review soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking at this one for quite some time. Thanks for your review - I will definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one awhile back now and really enjoyed it, though sad and powerful. I thought it was a well written novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still Alice was recommended to me by a friend recently thought it was excellent. I haven't got around to reading it yet but nice to know other people also think highly of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely one of my favorite books - I love our realistic it is and especially how she plotted the story. Can't wait till her next book and I hope it lives up to its expectation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a terrible disease. Thankfully, I haven't had to go through it with my family, but I work in health care and I do see it every day. You and your family have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book, it was a very emotional read. Especially, if you've seen a loved one go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to pop over to see your thoughts on this after I just read and reviewed it on my blog. I'm so sorry that you have to watch your dad experience this. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.