Wednesday, May 14, 2014

ARC Review - Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf




Book Summary from NetGalley

Veteran social worker Ellen Moore has seen the worst side of humanity—the vilest acts one person can commit against another. She is a fiercely dedicated children's advocate and a devoted mother and wife. But one blistering summer day, a simple moment of distraction will have repercussions that Ellen could never have imagined, threatening to shatter everything she holds dear, and trapping her between the gears of the system she works for.

Meanwhile, ten-year-old Jenny Briard has been living with her well-meaning but irresponsible father since her mother left them, sleeping on friends' couches and moving in and out of cheap motels. When Jenny suddenly finds herself on her own, she is forced to survive with nothing but a few dollars and her street smarts. The last thing she wants is a social worker, but when Ellen's and Jenny's lives collide, little do they know just how much they can help one another.

Release date - June 2014

My Review - 5

Heather Gudenkauf is a go to author when she releases a new book.  I loved her debut The Weight of Silence and loved this one just  as much.  Her writing style grabs you with a genuine embrace.  The emotional hold had me sitting on the edge of my seat.

There were two stories going on which started to intertwine and both took hold of me without competing but adding to the mystery and outcome of both.  One of the main things I enjoy about Heather G's books is I begin to love all the characters in some way, she makes you care and get completely engrossed with them and the story.  Sometimes when more then one story line is going on, I am involved with one not always caring for the other but with Ellen and Jenny each chapter rotating had me begging for more, this is a want to read in one sitting novel.

Ellen has three beautiful children with her husband and has a career as a social worker where she takes children away from their parents in order to protect them.  She deals with the tragedies of life that many of us hope never to have to.  Then her whole life stops when the tables are turned and she is dealing with the unknown to her, the life the abusers have put her victims through.

Jenny is a survivor of abuse, living with a loving but irresponsible dad.  She witnesses difficulty and ends up all alone after an 8 hour bus drive.  She meets Maudene who becomes her glimmer of hope, her Ma but as a survivor of abuse, she doesn't know who to trust and lies often without knowing there are still wonderful in the world to help.

This is a novel of compassion and love.  Heather Gudenkaur has a lyrical style that I find unique, beautiful writing.

Favourite Quote - please note ARC

Jenny also wanted to tell her father, but wasn't quite sure how to put it into words, that the very worst kind of hurt was the kind that wasn't there yet, but you knew was slowly creeping toward you.  Kindle at 11%

My Reviews of Heather Gudenkauf's other books





5 comments:

  1. You've sold me - this is going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the author for writing an other fantastic book that you loved! Always love that. :) Sounds very emotional.

    Nina from J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read all of her other books and very much want to get this one! So glad it does not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you did the review.

    I LOVED this book too. THANKS for the link to your review you left on my blog.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.