Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Review - I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh




Book Summary

On a rainy afternoon, a mother's life is shattered as her son slips from her grip and runs into the street . . .
 

I Let You Go follows Jenna Gray as she moves to a ramshackle cottage on the remote Welsh coast, trying to escape the memory of the car accident that plays again and again in her mind and desperate to heal from the loss of her child and the rest of her painful past. 
 
At the same time, the novel tracks the pair of Bristol police investigators trying to get to the bottom of this hit-and-run. As they chase down one hopeless lead after another, they find themselves as drawn to each other as they are to the frustrating, twist-filled case before them. Elizabeth Haynes, author of Into the Darkest Corner, says, “I read I Let You Go in two sittings; it made me cry (at least twice), made me gasp out loud (once), and above all made me wish I'd written it . . . a stellar achievement.”



My Review 4 1/2

I Let You Go is execution sweetness........  I added this to my to be read list as it was on many bloggers Top Ten 2015 list.  I found it quite slow in the beginning, it captured my attention but I was starting to worry, it didn't say pick me up, read on and then 40% it got interesting and I couldn't put it down, one more day, late night and finished it, WOW.

I do feel like I have to give a warning. The abuse in this book is torture to read, highly emotional and heartbreaking, it took my breath away and made me think of victims that live this every day.  I am unable to say more or it can become a spoiler.

The planning the author did for this book and the way she tied all the characters and coincidences together is mind blowing, I am so impressed.  I do feel like the twist at the end with the additional connection was completely unnecessary and didn't add or take away from the story.

In the beginning the chapters  go back and fourth between Jenna's life and the Detectives.  At times I was more interested in the Detectives life, I think he was starting to have a mid life crisis.  Then the first in your face WHAT closes off Part 1 brilliant.

I did think about part of the reason for the accident but definitely not all.  I highly recommend this one and have to say push through the beginning, it is worth it.  A true Psychological Thriller, really great debut, I look forward to more by Clare Mackintosh.







13 comments:

  1. That's quite a ways to go to get into it but at least it makes up for its slow start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I totally agree, it was a solid 3 1/2 but just felt like a story, nothing new then BAM, I thought it was that good to go up to 4 1/2.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a great read, but I'm thankful for the abuse warning. Sometimes you need to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I never thought about it before but I have seen reviewers have unnecessary triggers due to it and I work with victims sometimes so I will always give a warning.

      Delete
  3. I was a big fan of this book and I'm about to read her next one. As you say it is far from an easy read in places but fantastically executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleo, I didn't realize she had another one already so that is exciting. I was impressed with the planning.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't track this down but found another one by this author on Netgalley. I hope I can get it eventually. This author sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go Netgalley and see if I would be approved as I'm not in the US either.

      Delete
  5. I do want to read this one, but I imagine it will be a difficult one for me. I am glad you liked this one. It sounds like it was very well written and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, one of my fave books of 2015! That twist is / was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this book and think the plot was quite well executed. I can't wait to read her latest release!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.