Saturday, August 28, 2010

Thriller Review - The Remains by Vincent Zandri on Kindle



Book Summary


Thirty years ago, teenager Rebecca Underhill and her twin sister Molly were abducted by a man who lived in a house in the woods behind their upstate New York farm. They were held inside that house for three horrifying hours, until making their daring escape.

Vowing to keep their terrifying experience a secret in order to protect their mother and father, the girls tried to put the past behind them. And when their attacker was hunted down by police and sent to prison, they believed he was as good as dead.

Now, it’s 30 years later, and with Molly having passed away from cancer, Rebecca, a painter and art teacher, is left alone to bear the burden of a secret that has only gotten heavier and more painful with each passing year.

But when Rebecca begins receiving some strange anonymous text messages, she begins to realize that the monster who attacked her all those years ago is not dead after all. He’s back, and this time, he wants to do more than just haunt her. He wants her dead.

 My Review - 4 Great to the last Drop
 
Another author for me that can throw a punch, a scary punch that is.  This story makes you pay attention, you don't want to miss anything and you just want to keep reading until the end.  The book has very short chapters so you don't realise how much you have actually read.
 
Imagine being abducted as a child and 30 years later feeling like you are being stalked and realise it might just be from the man you thought had died. 
 
I loved how VincentZ had Rebecca in the present while also having blow by blow memories of the horrific past, that dynamic was a great way to tell this story.  At times you couldn't tell if she was paranoid, having a nightmare or actually living, experiencing the horror.

There is a huge reference to many reading fans classic, To Kill a Mockingbired, you won't believe what happens to the book.  In this story the favourite character is Boo.
 
I felt like I was reading a horror and in my head heard Beethoven's dark classical music, dun dun dun dun!!!!
 
I look forward to reading his other works now.  Right now this is only $2.99 on Amazon.  I read his digital short to get a feel for his writing first and he met my expectation.  See it here.......
 
I totally recommend this one for all Thriller, Mystery, Horror, Suspense fans, it is greatness.  I am including this one for the Thriller & Suspense Challenge.
 
 
Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

7 comments:

  1. Marce:
    Great review!!! When I finish my current read, "The Remains" is next and can't wait. Sounds like it was as good as his "Moonlight Falls". We will definitely have to compare notes via email so not to have any spoilers on our blogs.
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my this sounds right up my alley! When I first saw the cover I thought, "Whew, I don't think I'll have to add this one to my TBR pile," but after reading your review it is on the top!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting about Louise Penny's book. When you get to reading they you'll be glad that they are a series because you'll be wanting more. Her's are not as gripping as your just reviewed book but I think you'll love them anyway. Start with Still Life. I didn't read them in order so I don't know if it's a must but maybe it would be the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw in your sidebar your Mary Higgins Clark challenge. She's always been a favorite author of mine - read everything she's written, even her biography which I thoroughly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo, I'm glad you enjoyed this as I have it to read too! I'm really looking forward to reading it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to add this to my ever growing tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review!
    Thanks for visiting my blog at http://booksandmoviesreviews.blogspot.com.
    Now I am following you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.