Thursday, June 24, 2010

Booking Through Thursday - Reading Reviews

Go over to BTT to participate - http://btt2.wordpress.com/

Do you read book reviews? Do you let them change your mind about reading/not reading a particular book?

My main reason to have started blogging was in order to read book reviews, comment and add to my TBR list. It is the best way to find similar taste between bloggers also. Before blogging I didn't really read reviews because I wasn't that open to what I would read. I was a Mary Higgins Clark fan and pretty much that was it :-0 shocking I know.

Have I allowed reviews to change my mind, Absolutely. The most recent - I put Numbers by Rachel Ward on my Wishlist and was so excited by the concept, couldn't wait for it to be released, then numerous reviews have been kind of iffy and bloggers disappointed, so I deleted that one from my LibraryThing listing.

There are to many great books to go into one expecting it not to be great, I choose my books hoping for them all to be great not just 'ok'. Of course there are reviews you read that you have to make your own judgment on if you will try it because we are all so different, that is what is great about blogging.

I find Amazon does a great job on sending me recommendations according to what I rate also and I enjoy the variety of reviews there.

I appreciate all comments.

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

14 comments:

  1. Amazon can be a great starting place for reviews, but you have to be careful there. Sometimes people are rating the price or the service instead of the product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do let reviews influence what I read. For instance, I started reading My Idea of Fun by Will Self the other day and didn't really get into it right away. Then I read reviews of it on goodreads, and now I won't bother finishing it. I was kind of going in that direction anyway, but the reviews sealed the deal. Back to the used bookstore with no more time wasted and on to something I'm already enjoying more: Fingersmith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that there a lots of books I have expected to be great going into them, and coming out I was disappointed. Reading reviews and blogging has definitely helped me refine my tastes and know what to look for when I choose a new book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic! I love reading reviews, especially books that I've already read - I like to see other people's thoughts. If I was hesitant to start a book, a good review will most likely change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting insight! Amazon does have some good reviews.

    Here's my response: http://harrischanningauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I let reviews influence me too, but I don't think thats a bad thing. And I love Amazon! I always read those reviews but Kathy is right, you do have to be careful there. Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I read reviews, and many of them make or break my desire to read a book. Although, if a book is by my favorite author, I don't read the reviews until I read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rely on Amazon a lot too! And with my experience, it actually does a pretty good job with recommending me with things I end up liking. There are exceptions of course, but it's definitely a useful tool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read reviews but I form my own opinions. Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marce,

    I'm gutted that you deleted Numbers from your listing! Why don't you give it a try anyway? Numbers has had a mixed reaction in the US but I've got 103 reviews on Amazon.com, and about half of them are 4 or 5 stars. Maybe you'll be one of the people who connects with the book...okay, you might not be, but who knows...?

    All best wishes,
    Rachel Ward

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we are very similar in our opinion of reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely rely on reviews before I read the book. I use Amazon and Goodreads together and is very seldom disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read reviews, but I try not to let them influence my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great discussion! I absolutely rely on reviews to introduce me to new books I might not found otherwise. If I'm on the fence about a title and another reviewer loved it, I'll give it a try. Same thing if several bloggers hate a book, then I won't bother. There are so many books out there, why not use reviews as a guideline?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.