Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review - Hunger Games on Kindle


So I have completed Hunger Games.  Note, I read this quickly because I have been home with a pinched nerve in my neck, so reading is all I have done.  No work, toddler in school and no teaching my classes, it has been torture.

The one thing I can confirm is dystopian genre is not for me.  So friends I enjoyed it and understand why many love this genre but something about it just isn't my cup of tea.

I enjoyed how the book was categorised - Part 1 The Tributes, I loved this and thought oh ok I like the characters it is not to far fetched and then Part 2 The Games start.  It reminded me of the movie Gladiator, so much action and excitement but then I got a little bored instead of being excited on what was next, maybe just like the Capital watching the whole scene.  It is to quiet so lets spice it up. Then Part 3 The Victor, by this time I am ready for it to end.

Katniss was my favourite character, she was strong, brave and I like the way she thought.

So just like Uglies, I think the author is talented as the writing and stories are unique but it's not for me.  If this was a horror thriller which I think is possible I may have loved it.  I can't imagine this being a movie that young adults can watch, it would lack the gruesome fights that make it exciting, in my opinion.

I am glad I know what the hype is but I won't be reading on, I will live through all your reviews of Catching Fire and MockingJay.

I give it a 3 1/2 because I loved everything about Part 1.

9 comments:

  1. I never saw a comment for it :( even my hubs said, no one had anything to say about your rant lol!

    Yuk hope your neck feels better, those are the worst! I'll go check out the other blogger,

    oh and we'll go with the Godmother by Adams. I know it's a little light, but I figured to step our feet into the start, from there on I don't care how rough or raunchy it gets! I'll do another post for it :)

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't love it as much as so many others, but I do understand. The genre isn't for everyone. Either way, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya. If you like horror thrillers than this is definitely too tame for you.

    I do give you props for trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading it and giving it a try anyway :)

    Oh and I didn't like Uglies very much.. but I liked this one a lot. Great review, and glad you thought Katniss was a strong female character! That's one of the best things I loved about the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true, dystopian just isn't for everyone. I've always loved it, but I've been sort of wondering how it's all the rage lately, as it seems like it's not really universally appealing.
    Anyhow, glad you managed to enjoy some of this anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Marce! You're, like, one of the few who didn't totally adore The Hunger Games. There's nothing wrong with that of course! It's a bit refreshing, actually. And excellent review!

    P.S. I still have to read it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it didn't quite work for you, but thanks for giving it a try! No more dystopian recs for ya lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is probably one of the best not positive reviews of the Hunger Games I've read. I loved it, but I enjoy dystopian novels. I totally understand why it didn't work for you and I think your explanation will help those still on the fence about the series deciding whether or not it'll work for them.

    I think it's wonderful that you ventured out of your comfort zone, especially after not enjoying Uglies. And now you know next time there's a hot YA dytopian novel out that you can skip it without regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your honest review! I've been holding off on this one thinking I didn't want to buy into the hype and now I can wait a little longer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.