Friday, December 17, 2010

The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum (Jan choice, want to join us?)



Pages - 384
Published Date - May 24, 2010

Blum (Those Who Save Us) visits Tornado Alley in this vivid novel about a set of twins with a dark history. At home in Minnesota, Karena Jorge gets an unexpected call informing her that her twin brother, Charles Hallingdahl, whom she hasn't seen in the 20 years since something went very wrong during a storm chase, has been admitted to a Kansas mental hospital. Charles suffers from rapid cycling bipolar disorder, and all Karena knows is that he refuses medication, he can be a danger to himself and others, and he is still obsessed with storm chasing. When she rushes to the clinic and finds he has already left, Karena joins a professional storm-chasing tour company, hoping to find her brother in the caravan of watchers who follow major storms. In the course of the tour, Karena confronts the past and the way it has shaped her life. The unpredictable and dangerous storms provide a framework for an exploration of the bond between siblings (and its limitations), and Blum renders the stormy backdrop as richly as she does her nuanced characters.





Paula over at Tome's Devotee is hosting this Book Club, go here to join.

The benefit of this Book Club is you get to have turns choosing the book.

It is my turn to choose the next book and I chose The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum.  Anyone interested in joining us?

Have you read this, what did you rate it?

Participate in my End of Year Meme - What has been your best Reading Month of the Year?

6 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that this book club was starting up again. I wanted to join in on it the first time but then she said it was going to end...I'm excited now :) And this sounds like a really good book so I'm going to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked her back into it, the participants are taking some of the hardwork from her in order to assist organising month to month with questions etc.

    Glad to see you join again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to join up again. I have been absent from blogging lately, but I am still around. Life has just been getting in the way these days....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having trouble getting the books read for my bookclub that I have here with my pals. I am going to keep this on my radar though and see how the new year pans out. I like this author .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very interesting story! I think this is a good choice for a book club, since it deals with some heavy issues, like mental illness and family relationships. I have not read anything by Jenna Blum, but I will definitely be adding this to my to-read list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.