Thursday, December 13, 2012

Review - The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti





Summary inspiration from author to write Wicked Wives

When I was eight years old, I overheard adults in my South Philadelphia neighborhood discussing seventeen disenchanted and unfaithful neighborhood wives who allegedly murdered their husbands for insurance money. This was a fascinating topic for an 8 year- old boy eavesdropping on adult conversation. People were discussing the true story of Philadelphia’s infamous 1938 poison murder conspiracy scandals. My fascination led to obsession as I grew older, and I knew that I had to write about these women, their lovers and their husbands.



My Review - 4 stars

Suspense thriller meets historical fiction creating a great crime novel.   This had it all, love, sex, money, betrayal, crime, court scenes and some great charming, manipulative characters.

The author Gus was eight when he was hearing everyone around him talking about the wicked wives case.  This was his inspiration to write this 1937 noir true crime story from the neighbourhood of the city of Philadelphia.  Women falling for the same gigolo and then poisoning their husbands for insurance money.  They all thought a great plan until they realised they were competing for the same man.  It made me think what was keeping their mouths shut or from killing Giorgio themselves.

Rossi the Detective in charge is also running for District Attorney and is doing his best to keep upstanding morals but coming up against the worst scenarios, will he succeed or give in for his career.  He lived by this saying, also a great quote in the book "Take love away from life...and you take away life's pleasures." 

The suspense in this novel was thrilling, an edge of your seat couldn't wait for the next page, next chapter kind of book.  The court proceedings were nicely done and down right hilarious.

I love how it all came together and the mystery on who was behind everything, well done, you will enjoy this read, very entertaining.

A favourite quote, giving feel of book...........

The courtroom had an overflow crowd and everyone was sitting on the edges of their seats, waiting to hear the details of the case, waiting to be shocked, appalled, and delighted by the sordidness of it all.

 

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.