Friday, August 3, 2012

Book Blogger Hop



This is my first Hop for the year, if you want to join go over to Jennifer's blog here - Crazy For Books

Question for the week -

When a book goes “viral” (Hunger Games, Fifty Shades, Twilight), do you rush out to read it like everyone else, even if it’s not in your typical genre?

I am a mood reader so the hype doesn't affect me.  If a book is on my Wishlist before it is Published that I am excited about I will rush to read it mainly because I don't want to be swayed with all the reviews, positive or negative. 

Since blogging I have gave in to the hype of classics that have passed the test of time.  To Kill a Mockingbird, Rebecca, And Then There were None and up next is Moonstone.
I read Fifty Shades as a ARC, i'm so glad I read it before anyone was talking about, I was able to enjoy it and review it without shame.  All the headlines and hype of it now I don't think you can truly read it without prejudice in some way.

I read Hunger Games long after all the hype, I didn't enjoy it but was happy to understand the hype which I did understand, dystopian just isn't for me.

I have never been interested in Twilight, before blogging or since.  I watched the first movie, not for me.

Overall, super hyped books don't seem to be me, I can't think of any that I gave a 5 star to during the peak of a hype, many times a 3 star.

A list of Super Hype Books (in my opinion) I have read.

Hunger Games (3)
Fifty Shades of Grey (5)
Gone Girl (3)
Still Missing (3)
Still Alice (5)
The Time Travelers Wife (DNF)

15 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those Marce. Hype doesn't affect me. I have read the Twilight books and loved them. I will eventually read 'The Hunger Games' since dd has them now and I'll get to 'Fifty shades of Grey'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you Nancy, I think you would enjoy Hunger Games.

      Delete
  2. I generally don't read books that are hyped too much either. I have to wait until the hype dies down or I'm usually disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To much hype definitely sets an expectation that is hard to live up to.

      Delete
  3. I guess I really don't read viral-type books very often because of your list, I've only read the HG series and THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE. I usually get to hyped-up books eventually (with the exception of FIFTY SHADES, which I will never read), I just don't feel the need to rush.

    Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Hunger Games before all the hype, and I still love it. I read Twilight before too, but all the hype about that series kind of put me off. I try not to judge a book by its hype :)

    Check out my post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need to read the Hunger Games trilogy, but only because I watched the first movie & I want to know more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your response! I too am much the same with hype books and I have been lucky enough to read books before they take off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by today! I have not read Hunger Games and probably won't- kids killing kids, not my thing. I like Fifty Shades on your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Fifty Shades because it was recommended, not because of the hype. It wasn't my kind of book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to see that I am not the only one that DNF The Time Traveler's Wife! I just could not get into it.

    I read whatever I'm in the mood for too, hype or no hype.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hyped up classics are a whole different ball game :) But some of the new fangled hyped up stuff? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard too much bad stuff about 50 Shades to pick it up - and it's really not my kind of thing! But it's always sad if people are put off books they would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a mood reader too. So I find myself sometimes wanting to read a hyped up boom and then not being able to get through it when I finally get my hands on a copy. It's best for me to wait until the hype dies down if it's a book that interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a lot of hyped books I haven't read yet, but I do like to read them if they interest me and when I get the chance. I like to see what the buzz is all about but I'm usually late to the party! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.