Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Review - The Weight of Silence


From my reading this year I have figured out a style I love – the story being told from numerous characters voices. Calli is a selective mute, hasn’t spoke in three years and she gives her side of the story in past tense and all others in present day, great style for the way this story was told.

This was Heather Gudenkauf’s debut book and I would describe it as a beautiful music piece, just like a musical conductor directing his orchestra, she creatively put this lyrical suspense story together.

Calli and her best friend Petra have a magical friendship, one you don’t question you just accept as is. This story captures what happens in the past, is not forgotten and how it affects everyone, children and adults, and the terrible circumstances when choices are made, sometimes not the right one for everyone involved. The title weight of silence fully comes together at the end.

There are numerous suspense twists, where are the girls, are they together, did someone abduct them, are they alive then you have who, what, where, omg it just keeps going. And the biggest suspense ‘elephant in the room’ answer you want is why doesn’t Calli speak?

And at the end, it was the best Epilogue I have ever read, this was when I wanted to cry.
I highly recommend, I give it 5 stars but Suspense and Thriller are my favourite genre to read.


7 comments:

  1. I am hoping that I get this book for Christmas....it really sounds like one I would enjoy!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, five stars that good? I think i should try this one, it does sounds very beautiful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, I don't think everyone will give it 5 stars but for me I really loved it, art work writing in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my wish list - it looks SO good and I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. I have it on hold at the library! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nive review! If you like multiple POV, you should try East by Edith Pattou. It's a retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon, and it's really good. ^-^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.